• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Multiculturalism/Mass Immigration

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think multiculturalism is fine but mass immigration is not especially if it is being done illegally. Its too overwhelming to the country that is receiving these immigrants.

Welcome to the forum.

I think multiculturalism is fine but mass immigration is not especially if it is being done illegally. Its too overwhelming to the country that is receiving these immigrants.

Welcome to the forum.
Thankyou and I would absolutely agree. This forum has a minimum word rule, how peculiar, I hope I've reached forty characters by now.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
South Africa is known as the Rainbow nation, with eleven official languages and even a bigger variety of cultures co-existing together, so I can confidently say that multiculturalism works, provided there is a mutual respect and at least some level of understanding regarding each others cultures. In this case, ignorance will lead to chaos.

As for the mass immigration part of your question, what do you consider mass? I don't think a mass and sudden influx of immigrants is good for any country really. But as far as immigration go, I am not opposed to it. I have a point of view that the world in shrinking in terms of accessibility. Why shouldn't someone from one country be able to live in a different country, provided they are not criminals and they contribute to their country where they live?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Multiculture works but only if the cultures respect each other. Its mass immigration that doesnt work. Theres only so many people that can control immigration issues so if theres too many people that cant interface in a multiculture country then race issues can get out of control. Not good.
Oh and welcome to the forum. :D

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not opposed to legal immigration either. To immigrate here someone has to jump through hoops to do so and most legal immigrants are great contributing citizens that assimilate into society. However when its done by the thousands illegally, then the government does nothing to stop it or deport them, its a slap in the face to anyone that does it the right way. Instead of immigrants paying for the process themselves taxpayers are forced to pay for it. Then some of them are criminals costing us even more.

We have a lot of different cultures living here also from all parts of the world. Most of the time we live together in harmony.

Bottom line is you have to be able to control immigration to keep it from hurting your country just like you have to control who comes into your home.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I absolutely agree, Hilander. South Africa also has a big problem with illegals jumping the borders, mostly from Zimbabwe. It creates higher rates of unemployment and in turn increases crime. I know where you're coming from.

I'll be honest, two of my cousins illegally immigrated to two separate countries, with their families (like 4 people each). One went to the US. They are now legally there and have their green cards, after 15 years. I saw them for the first time in 15 years about 3 weeks ago. I wasn't ashamed to tell them that I don't think what they did was right or moral and that I would never condone their actions. As much as I want to relocate to the USA permanently, I will never consider doing it illegally. No matter what.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Just curios as to what peoples views are on multiculturalism and mass immigration? Anti or pro?
Multiculturalism is not, in my opinion, something that is inherently good. Some cultures are simply more compatible than others in terms of related traditions and lifestyles. I believe that different cultures and races (including white folks) should have their own exclusive communities, as well as there being shared communities within any given large populous. I think individual cultures benefit from not being forced into a melting pot, and have more to offer a multicultural community when allowed to exist and develop within more specialized environments.

Mass immigration? Anti... I am of the opinion that "charity begins at home". When a country has virtually eliminated poverty, illiteracy, and joblessness within it's own borders and has a thriving economy with a surplus of wealth and resources, then it is time to invite more people in to share in the prosperity. Although I am more inclined to think that each region should have a carefully decided upon carrying capacity for population that it should never exceed, and that additional wealth and resources, beyond what is needed to maintain that optimal carrying capacity, should be invested abroad rather than trying to bring hordes of people in and potentially destabilizing socio-economic harmony, once achieved. But then, I believe that society should be ruled by common sense and practical logic, which puts me apparently among a minuscule minority, and from some accounts, also makes me a racist.

- Chameleon

Last edited:

Sim

Registered Member
I more or less agree with most postings above: Mass immigration is a problem, especially when it's many poor and low-skilled people coming. For practical reasons, a country should control immigration, and make sure only those people who are willing and capable of contributing are allowed in.

As for multiculturalism, it depends on the definition. I'm all for diversity, when it comes to food, dresses, languages, traditions and so on ... as long as all people agree on a certain frame, a minimum set of values that keep all different cultures together.

IMO, this frame should be the rules of the respective Constitution and law: When different cultures accept the way our society works, that governments are decided in free elections, that your freedom ends where the freedom of your neighbor begins, and that state and religion must be separated, I'm all for diversity.

But those immigrants who do not accept that frame, attack the constitution and its values and refuse to tolerate other groups -- no thanks. You can stay out.