MP3 Sharing

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Merc, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

This is something that has bothered me for a while. Why is sharing MP3's such a horribly awful thing? I mean, I hear about these kids getting in trouble . . . kids . . . for countless sums of money and legal issues all because they had a few hundred MP3 files.

Now I don't know about you, but when I was a little kid, I was told to share. I learned that sharing with other people, especially when it came to terribly important things (at the time) such as time on the swings and who got to play with the Power Ranger toy next, you could earn friends and respect. Now I've grown up and I have a friend who has never listened to the band Cold. So I decide to lend him three Cold CD's so he can copy them for himself and listen. Let's say he tells a few friends and they all burn his copies. Isn't it ridiculous to realize how much trouble we'd get in if Cold's record companies heard about what we did?

I can see the other side of the coin, that the musicians lose money because a person who copies the CD most likely won't invest in their own copy. However, musicians make a shit load of money and I'm betting most of it isn't from album sales. There's also merchandise, concerts, and endorsements.

Do I feel bad about not buy a band's CD? Yes, more likely if I really enjoy their music. However, if I'm sitting at my computer (like the other day) and my girlfriend offers me her copy of Flyleaf's CD to copy, do you honestly expect me to say, "Nah it's okay, I'm going to go buy it for the same amount of money that could buy me food for a few days."

I'm almost torn on the issue, but I'm more on the side that doesn't see this as a major problem, at least not as big a problem as people make it out to be. Freely distributing the CD on a massive network is a lot worse than letting a few friends copy your CD.

Thoughts?

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

It's meant to be bad because the record companies lose money, and they don't seem to like that for some reason.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not talking about sharing on Limewire.

I'm fine with people getting in trouble for that. I'm talking to the crowd that gets all of their music from friends and family via copying their discs and music files.

4. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

As I said, the record companies lose money. Doesn't matter if you get it from limewire or your friends, the same thing applies - the record companies lose out because the people who get them for free aren't paying for the CD.

5. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I agree, Merc. I feel awful for downloading that Flyleaf CD. (Although I LOVE the album)

I was actually thinking about maybe one day replacing all of the CDs I pirated with legit copies. But doing it slowly and when I have a job.

6. fleinn

fleinn 101010

Yeah - the "evil 14- year olds undermining the record industry"- conspiracy. Imo, the vast majority of people who copy, and pirate, are people who wouldn't have bought the products anyway. They also tend to end up with a huge record- collection of music they own. Because they like music, for example.

Really, noone is going to convince me that this translates as a loss for the record companies. (But they don't ask me, of course, but lobbying firms who exist only because they can "prove" traffic on downloading sites translates into profit- loss..).

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, what if you could "share" a Corvette by "copying" it for a friend somehow, I guarantee you Corvette sales would go down and Chevrolet would be all over you.

I see it as the same thing. Sharing in the way that you describe (as a kid) means either you both are using whatever is "shared" at the same time, or you are left without said item for a few days while your friend enjoys it.

MP3 sharing is making it so that your friend will never purchase the cd.

How would you feel if your employer found a way to "share" the work you do, and somehow it was getting done without them having to pay anybody? You'd be fired and you would stop making money. That argument's a bit strange, but it's the same principle.

Well it's impossible for you to be "gaining" without somebody "losing". If you end up with free music, that equates to dollars that won't ever be spent, which is a loss. If you wouldn't buy the music in the first place, and only have it because it was free then that's no different. If you wouldn't buy gas in the first place so you just drive off at the pump without paying does that justify it?

8. dmny500

dmny500 Registered Member

Very good points Andrew, I listen to lots of music and I do buy cds sometimes but I usually download. My only problem is that if everyone downloads then the labels will lose tons of money and wont be able to sign the artists and then there goes music. I would prefer to buy cds cause I think it's wrong to cheat these artists out of their money even if they are rich.

9. Brandon77

Brandon77 Registered Member

Honestly, it simply isn't fair to musicians just because they put out a product which can easily be manipulated and copied, and thus, given out at no profit to the artist. It's kind of like the following scenario. Say you have the cabability to print US Federal Reserve Notes at your fingertips and you will get away with it. It is wrong, even though it would be real money, because it is not a matter of capability, but authority. The authority to reproduce and sell music is only given to those who have the copyright. No matter what the consequence is, if you get caught or not, it is still wrong. Stealing is stealing whether you get caught or not. Period. Just like printing money without having the authority would be wrong, copying music without authority is wrong as well.

Now, personally, I think it is fine to share music within the same household, as you would never buy two of a cd for one family. It's once you start moving outside the house to friends and others that it becomes questionable.

10. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

I grew up in the 60's and 70's and in the 70's we always copied our records and 8 track tapes to cassette and we also copied from cassette to cassette and nothing was said about it then not to mention in the 90's thru today we use VCRs to copy certain shows & Movies and therefore not having to buy the DVD.