• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

mp3 editor

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
yeah I'm all ears to... if I can trim songs with iTunes I swear I'll delete all my other audio editing softwear...

dDave

V.I.P.
How do you change that in iTunes? Does it have to be a newer version of it? I would actually not prefer to have any new programs. Although, I'll probably remove iTunes soon since I'm almost positive about getting a Zune...but I have it at the moment...or when I get my laptop back, at least.
No it's actually one of the older features in iTunes I think.

If you right click on a song -> Get Info -> Options -> Start/Stop Time

You can edit the start and stop time of any song down to the milliseconds. The only thing though is that if you're not going to keep itunes then I don't think this will work as a permanent solution (I just had this realization), it does not actually edit the files rather there is a file in your itunes registry that remembers to start and stop certain songs at certain times.

You can back up this file to be used in future itunes libraries though.

II'm sure that it's a feature in Windows media player and other programs like that, I just don't use anything but itunes.

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Oh, I see. I recently lost my iPod and instead of getting another, I'm probably most likely moving over to a Zune instead. But that would have been pretty cool to do without adding new software.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
ah, So it doesnt technically trim it. I just tried it. The portions of the song you want gone are still there... it just sets a bookmark at where you want the respective song to start from.

Useful for AK... not so much for me Thanks for the help though :hah:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
ah, So it doesnt technically trim it. I just tried it. The portions of the song you want gone are still there... it just sets a bookmark at where you want the respective song to start from.

Useful for AK... not so much for me Thanks for the help though :hah:
It's not useful for me either since I'm getting rid of itunes in favor of zune. :p

Plus, it doesn't sound like it would help to cut the end of a song off, either. I believe that QOTS has a song that I need to cut 40 seconds off the front, and about 20 seconds off the back.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
yeah it does, technically the whole song is there...... The settings you'd input are just a way of telling the song exactly when to start and exactly when to end.

But if you're tossing iTunes then I agree... not a very helpful thing. Also the fix would only be good if the file is being played on iTunes or an Ipod... otherwise I doubt the start/end settings would carry over.