Moving Out

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by Wade8813, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Some of my friends and I are thinking about moving out, and I was wondering if any of you had any advice or tips on anything, from how to save money, to simple meal ideas, to things to make sure we plan for, or anything else.

2. viLky

viLky ykLiv

o-- You can get free boxes if you go to grocery stores early in the morning and ask for them. I use to work at one and saved boxes for people who asked for them.

o-- Label the boxes. That way you take them to the correct room and don't have to make more trips than you have to.

o-- Top Ramen is the college kids best friend when it comes to food. If you're tight on cash pick up a case of these for very cheap.

o-- Try not to bring clutter when moving. If you can, donate that crap to Good Will or something.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Do you already have a place to move into and a timetable?

4. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

Just basically get some good sized boxes, big enough to hold a lot of stuff but not so big that it takes 15 men and a small crane to carry them. Like it's been said, make sure boxes are clearly labelled (not stuff like "Household", because that's vague. Could be anything. Things like "Plates, Glasses and Cutlery" is more descriptive"). Also give yourself plenty of time to pack your things and sort it out ready then you aren't spending as long clearing out.

5. Wade8813

Everything is still tentative right now. One of my friends just lost his job, so that'll probably delay things.

6. Jeru

Jeru Registered Member

The following is based on my past experiences, they may not apply to your situation but i found that these were the things that kept everything lovely

Try to limit the time you spend with your roommates, things turn sour if you are around them too long.

Don't assign chores! you are begging for a nasty argument if you do

I would suggest you get your own grocery's for yourself

and keep everything you don't want people to use/touch in your own space

...unless you really really really REALLY trust your friends you just always have to be looking out for yourself

you don't want to ruin friendships over something silly

7. Wade8813

I'd have thought it would be the other way around - if you don't have things assigned, some people will feel they're doing more than others. If everyone has assigned chores that they agreed to, wouldn't that prevent problems?

8. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Well speaking from a failed move out experience I have a few things you should watch out for.

1. Make sure apartment/house contracts have everyone on them.
    2. Be prepared to pay about 1.5 times what your rent is every month.
    3. Have money saved up BEFORE you move.
    4. Buy in bulk. If it's a bunch of guys moving in together, you have no idea how fast food will go.
    5. Find things to do outside of the apartment/house. Like Jeru said do not spend every waking moment with them.
    6. Respect every one's personally space, do not start borrowing clothes, movies, whatever without permission and make sure they are returned.
    7. Ramen is good, but it is not a substitute. You still need real food.
    8. Velveeta Mac and Cheese makes everyone happy.
    ------
    *Oh and side note* Always clean up after yourself immediately. Don't let stuff sit. It causes a lot of fights and before you know it you guys are living in a pig pen.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
    Wade8813 likes this.
  9. Wade8813

Lots of good advice, esp #2. I knew we'd have to pay more, but had no idea how much more.

10. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Yeah it's alot more expensive than you first expect. Our rent was 800. We'd end up spending about 1200-1400 depending on the month for food, gas, cell phones, cable, internet, hanging out with friends...etc...it accumulates quick.