Movies based on books

MissMe

Registered Member
I always try and read the book before watching the movie based on the book. I have found that several of my favorite movies were based on books and I didn't even know it. I went to the library and read them to compare them to the movie.
Just in case you weren't aware, the following movies were actually based on books.

Forrest Gump - I actually liked the movie much more than the book.
Fried Green Tomatoes - I have to say this is my all time favorite movie and not my favorite book
Pitch Perfect - Again I liked the movie better than the book
The Green Mile - The movie was so much like the book. Usually I am disappointed with the movie but not in this case.
The Giver - I liked the book better but the movie is pretty awesome too

Sophia

Registered Member
I always encourage my students to read the book before seeing the movie. I feel the movies leave so much out and generally change or add things in order to sell tickets. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis is the only movie I have ever seen that is almost word for word from the book.

NellyBell

Registered Member
I had no idea that Pitch Perfect was a book first. I think Little Women (the Winona Ryder version) did a great job of translating the book to screen. I also really liked the book-to-screen translation of Bagger Vance.

Impaired

Registered Member
It is rare, for me, that a movie can touch a book, or even come close. Mostly they miss by miles and I am disappointed. I have generally, always read the book first, since I love to read.

Shawshank Redemption is one of the few where the movie stands up to the book.

Mystic River always comes to mind when I see this question. I think that movie is as good as the book, maybe even a little better. Both of them are absolutely fantastic though, a definite must-read/must-watch.