Movies Movie Subtitles

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
When watching DVDs, do you like to put on the subtitles?

For example, you're watching a foreign movie: Would you watch it in its original language with your own language subtitles? Or would you watch the dubbed version?

What if it's not a foreign movie, would you still put subtitles? :lol:

I used to be bothered with subtitles. I think it makes the screen messy. However I think that movies are better watched in their original version. So when I go to the theatres to watch an English movie, I choose the original version with French subtitles (vost) instead of going to the dubbed French version (vf) screenings.

At home we do the same thing when watching DVDs. But even when we're watching a French DVD, if FR subtitles are available we put it on. One advantage is when the kids get noisy, we can still understand what is going on by just reading. :D

For example, you're watching a foreign movie: Would you watch it in its original language with your own language subtitles? Or would you watch the dubbed version?
Original with subtitles. Dubs can be good, but sometimes the voices are a bit of a mess. I seriously want to learn foreign languages, though, So that I'm not stuck with just subtitles and/or an english dub.

What if it's not a foreign movie, would you still put subtitles? :lol:
If it's impossible for me or others to hear it because of something like being deaf, speakers not working, loud noises, etc. Then yes. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Last edited:

Sim

Registered Member
When the movie's original version is in a language I understand, like French or English, I usually prefer the original version without subtitles. But sometimes that's difficult, because the original is in heavy slang or such, then I switch on subtitles.

For example, I had trouble understanding the mobster slang in "The Sopranos", so I watched the series in the original with German subs.

When the original version is a language I don't understand, like Japanese or so, then I usually go for the German dubbed version.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Yeah, I use the subtitles because I usually watch movies late and like everybody is sleeping so it's easier.

leomay

Registered Member
when i watch foreign movie..i cannot understand what they say ..so i just looking at the subtitles
it like watch our movie, no block ,i even donnot aware it a foreign`

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
When the movie's original version is in a language I understand, like French or English, I usually prefer the original version without subtitles. But sometimes that's difficult, because the original is in heavy slang or such, then I switch on subtitles.

For example, I had trouble understanding the mobster slang in "The Sopranos", so I watched the series in the original with German subs.

When the original version is a language I don't understand, like Japanese or so, then I usually go for the German dubbed version.
You watch Sopranos too? I watched it in English, with English subtitles :lol:

I watch my Japanese movies with subtitles too. But with some Chinese movies, the language sound distracts me so I end up watching it in another language. Except maybe for Crouching Tiger...

Yeah, I use the subtitles because I usually watch movies late and like everybody is sleeping so it's easier.
Yep, that too. I usually watch movies late at night and I have to put the volume really low. I need the subtitles to understand what they're saying.

Sim

Registered Member
You watch Sopranos too? I watched it in English, with English subtitles :lol:
Yep, the whole series on DVD. I tried English subtitles too, at first, but still found I missed a lot of the slang. So I finally went for German subtitles.

The German dubbed version is horrible. The whole style and feeling of the series gets lost, when mafia mobsters speak the finest and clearest high German. :(

I watch my Japanese movies with subtitles too. But with some Chinese movies, the language sound distracts me so I end up watching it in another language. Except maybe for Crouching Tiger...
Do you speak Japanese?

When the original is in a language I don't understand, I see no point in bothering with subtitles. So I take the German version then.

But I should mention that I often watch series or movies with friends, some of which don't speak and understand English well enough. I think I watch more TV in company, than alone. In those cases, we go for the dubbed versions.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Do you speak Japanese?

When the original is in a language I don't understand, I see no point in bothering with subtitles. So I take the German version then.

But I should mention that I often watch series or movies with friends, some of which don't speak and understand English well enough. I think I watch more TV in company, than alone. In those cases, we go for the dubbed versions.
I wish I speak Japanese. :lol:

I like hearing it in the movie. Sometimes I feel that the original actors put on some feeling with the way they say things and it's lost in dubbed versions (who are more concerned with just saying the same things than capturing the feeling). For example, with The Sopranos, we tried listening to it in French and the impression of the dialogues is not the same as when we listened to it in English (because we can compare as we understand both languages). In animated movies, they often get squeaky voices to do the dubs they tend to sound all the same.

I like it when I watch Jodie Foster's movies because I know she does all the French dubs too that you don't lose anything with her dialogues even watching it in vf.

What about the movies there? Here we have VOST (original version with FR subtitles) or VF (dubbed). When I went to Switzerland, at least in Geneva, they had three subtitles in the movie house! I watched a movie in English with Italian, German and French subtitles below. :rofl:

Sim

Registered Member
You're right, most dubbings are not really well performed. They are mass productions and can ruin a good movie and good acting.

But there are some exceptions. For example, the German dubbing of the Monty Python movies (like Life of Brian) are incredibly well performed and creative. I'd almost say Life of Brian is better in German, than in the original version.

Also, I prefer the German version of the original 60s "Star Trek" over the original version. They reinterpreted the show, rather than just translating it, adding many funny jokes and easy language to it, which gives it a special feeling.

Also, I like the German version of "The X-Files", because Mulder's German voice actor is very talented and congenially interprets the character.

But those are exceptions. Most dubbings are dull and uninspired.

Watching the original with subs helps a lot developing language skills, too ... for example, the Dutch and Scandinavians, where all English movies and series are on TV with subs only (it would be too expensive to dub it for a small number of people only), are notorious for their mastering of English as foreign language.

i feel like such a dork for it but i can't stand to watch a movie without subtitles at home. mostly because American movies have a tendency to say some lines to quiet to understand but i dont know sometimes it just really bugs me not to have them. funny thing is id rather use the original language subtitles for foreign movies because towards the end you know whats going on and whats being said without knowing the language. its funny my dad wont watch movies with me now cause i have to have the subtitles and all my friends are so used to it that they sometimes turn on the subtitles when im not around.