Movies Movie reviews/ratings

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Well everyone knows that movies get reviews and ratings by the movie experts before it comes out to theater. Now I was wondering if those reviews/ratings good or bad influence your decision to go see and movie? If yes why, if no why?

2. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Generally, I don't even pay attention to the small snipets or reviews on TV. I'll go to whatever site and look up reviews. And those normally effect my decision. If I see a movie that's getting a bad review that I wanted to see, I'll watch it online. If I see that it's getting a good review, I'll actually pay to see it.

TL;DR I don't want to pay to see a sh-t movie.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I'll see about anything if it looks good. I'll only see things that look amazing in the theaters though. I'm not paying $8 to see a movie that I could see for $1 on DVD if I waited a few months.

4. Babe_Ruth

Personally I don't pay attention to the reviews or what people say about the movie, everyone has a different opinion of a movie, so why should someone else opinion effect my decision to go see a movie. If something looks good to me I'll go see it, if it looks dull and boring or stupid I won't. Simple has that in my opinion.

5. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Or for free if you know the right sites.
    ------
    It's not really someone elses opinion that gets me. Well, I guess it is, but hear me out. If I want to see a movie, and I hear that it is a slow moving movie, the plot is dry, and it's anticlimatic, I'm not going to pay to see it. Case in point, "Boogeyman."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  6. Babe_Ruth

See I don't understand how someone can pay attention to that. The reason why I say that is because like I mentioned earlier in my post, everyone's opinion is different, one person can think the plot was dry, the movie was slow ect. But on the other hand you can think there were other great parts in the movie that made it great and such.

7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Have you ever seen the movie "Boogeyman"

Here's a longer list for you of movies that people told me were going to suck, that did.

War of the Worlds Tom Cruse version
    Gili
    The Cave
    I didn't like Time Machine
    I know there's more, I just can't think of what they are.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I got Metacritic.com, it compiles all major reviews into one score so you get a general picture. I don't read each review, but I like to hear what the general consensus is.

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I used to until critics made almost everything look bad. I've noticed that critics don't like the majority of movies nowadays. All the fantasy, comedy, suspense, and horror films are torn to shreds. They praise the films that have extremely new ideas and story lines. I think they're just bitter after watching endless amounts of movies.

but I still think they're fairly accurate though. I take all the negative reviews with a grain of salt and just see how many good reviews there are.

10. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

I read plot lines and if I've heard good things about it from friends and family sometimes I'll gowatch it. Although with a couple of my sisters if they say it's good I know to avoid it. Mostly I base what movies I'm interested in off of the preveiws I see and plot synopsis I read.