• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MOVIE RANT: Enough Michael Bay!

Dedman

Registered Member
I'll be honest; I'm writing this just to let some of my rage over the topic out, and partly to see if it is me who's crazy or the world.

Transformers 4 and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are both huge commercial succeses, it seems.

After watching both those movies this summer, I felt very empty leaving the theatre on both occasions. And it's all due to Michael Bay's formula for a blockbuster.
Now, I know he only directed Tranformers while produced TMNT, but his fingerprints are all over both of them equally.

I'll start with 2014's biggest movie.
Bay has made a fortune of making 4 movies with the exact same plot and sequence. The transformers are all searching for something, be it an all-spark, a matrix of leadership, some pillars or a seed. The Transformers get into one scuffle midway through the film, which the bad guys win at, one mega extremely loud fight at the end. During the last fight, Optimus Prime has to get his huge metallic butt handed to him and will be on the verge of dying until someone comes at the end to help him out; in every single movie.
The first movie was a fun entertaining spectacle. However, over the course of the next 3 movies with this same formula, the storyline developed plotholes that a commercial airliner can fly through, the franchise characters were generic and have no depth or backstory that could make them interesting; a weak storyline covered by a ton of special effects. And the whole story is rendered even more ridiculous when Optimus flys off the planet at the end of the Transformers 4. OPTIMUS PRIME CAN FLY and he never deemed it necessary throughout all the hopeless scuffles he was in.
Michael Bay made the Transformers franchise into a huge moneymaker but has rendered the Transformerrs themselves irrelevent. The fact that Transformers 4 is making box office history while good movies like "Edge of Tomorrow" is considered somewhat of a flop makes me sad.

One of my main problems with transformers is that the characters I liked were reduced to mere supporting cast for the human characters that Bay introduced, which were equally shallow and unrelatable. And that brings me to TMNT. Any adult who goes to see this movie probably watch the turtles growing up, which means the turtles were the main attraction. Well, the turtles were rendered to one-dimensional supporting characters while, shockingly, Megan Fox took center stage in this movie. Heck, the entire origin story of the turtles and Splinter had all of 3 minutes of the movie's time devoted to it. With the turtle's personalities consisting of nothing but a string of one-liners and Splinter & Shredder's backstory completely ommited, this movie was wanting. The most powerful trait of Shredder's persona was the hatred that he harbored for Amoto Yoshi (aka Splinter); without that, he was one of the most 1-dimensional bad guys in the history of cinema; he was basicallly the mandatory guy who punches the heroes.
Once again, a weak story covered up by a ton of special effects.

I'd like to say, I hope this trend of intelligence-insulting movies from Michael Bay stops but with box office numbers, it seems like further sequels for both franchises will be on the way.

Sorry to go on a lengthy rant but I just had to let it out.

Sabby

Michael Bay is the movie equivalent of Vince McMahon.

As long as there is no competition and people still fork over the $$$ there's no real motivation to change the formula. I don't agree with it, but it's the way it is.

Baz

Here in the UK we haven't got the TNMT movie yet, but i'm really dreading to see the finished product as I don't really rate Bay outside of booms, bangs etc.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I do believe Optimus flew in Transfomers 3. He flew in Transformers 2 but that was because of the upgrades from the old guy.

There will be a Transformers 5 and the voice of Optimus wants Bay back.

Hang in there...

Dedman

Registered Member
Crypticshock said:
I do believe Optimus flew in Transfomers 3. He flew in Transformers 2 but that was because of the upgrades from the old guy.

There will be a Transformers 5 and the voice of Optimus wants Bay back.

Hang in there...
Good point to bring up. He did fly around in 3 because he had a jetpack which he kept in his trailer. I remember this pissed me off because during the movie he was seperated from the trailer and made a big fuss about needing the jetpack. Next scene he's in, he has it strapped on and is flying without explanation as to how he came to possess the trailer again.

This furthers the point that logic does not come into these movies and Bay does not respect the viewers. In Transformers 3 it clearly establishes that he can't fly on his own, yet in 4, he takes off into orbit unassisted.

Baz

Turtles is out here 17th of October, I shall be going to see it, however if it turns out bollocks i'll be boycotting everything Bay.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I don't mind Michael Bay! Yes, his overuse of explosions at the worse opportune time can become annoying at times, but I like his movies more than not. Big fan of the Bad Boys series

Crypticshock

Registered Member
He has a giant hard-on for Megan Fox. Which is why she quit the Transformers. Thankfully for Bay, she is like a goldfish and has a short-term memory so she joined the Turtles. Sorry, I am not sure if Turtles is the right term. The April Show, fits better.