• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mouse Traps

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Do you use them? Whats your preference?

As August is blowing by, Mouse hunting season is creeping closer. It wont be long before September is here and the season is in full swing. Where I live and work there are field mice everywhere. You pretty much have to learn how to live with them and work around them than be freaked out at the thought of having mice running around.

On a good week when the summer months have cooled down and fall is on the way, I can usually snag about 2 maybe 3 mice a day in a 5 day week. I only use the medievil style traps (like the one pictured below) I feel that the sticky traps are very inhumane, the one time I used one the mouse had chewed through its own leg before it finally died. The plastic traps are usually just a joke and usually made a mockery by the mice themselves.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
They are a necessary evil, I hate to admit. I had mice in one apartment that I lived in and it was awful. The landlady bought glue traps but I wouldn't let her put them out. I used the plastic traps instead. They got the job done and all you have to do is squeeze them open to get rid of the corpse.

ugh. i hate killing mice.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I prefer using live traps. Basically I don't like killing animals for no reason so I try hard to catch them live first so I can let them go outside and far away.

I used to have mice for pets so I feel bad killing ANY mice if I can avoid it.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Mice are cute, I hate killing them. But as long as I can get one of the traps Jeanie was talking about that's simple and efficient, I guess it's okay.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Now I wouldnt mind using the live traps.... but like I said, here in the country it would just be a very Tom & Jerry esque game of cat & mouse between the mice and I.

I actually had a field mouse that I caught one time here at the office, kept it in a 10 gallon fish tank for about 2 weeks before I started feeling bad and just let it go. I'm sure it eventually came back and found its way onto one of my traps

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah goat you probably have armies of mice entering your house at once. You do what you gotta do. :lol:

Honestly I will use traps too if I have to. Sometimes it's the only other option besides just letting the critters stay. You should get a cat or cats if you have a lot of mice though. The cat smell will keep most mice from getting too comfortable.

They also sell these electronic devices that emit a high pitch sound that only rodents can hear. If you don't have any rodent pets you could try that as a way to keep them out of your house.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I put out poison now. I don't like glue traps because they are messy and the regular traps like up at the top I don't like dealing with the corpses. I have tried the inhumane ones where you are supposed to be able to capture it in the trap and then you can release it where ever you want but the last damn mouse I had would just trip them so poison it is since my cats gone because she would corner them for me and then I'd toss them out the door.

EXQEX9

Yep.
At my old high school, the students had built a permanent extension onto the stage. This extension was made out of lumber...as opposed to the rest of the stage which was cement.

Mice found their way into it.

My title at that school was "Master Electrician" and obviously, that job includes the set up and removal of traps.

God damn it. I hated it. I didnt even know mice existed where I lived. Ive never had problems with them at my house...my electricians and I constantly complained about the fact that we got stuck with the job...

The only problem I have with traps is when im cleaning them up when I could be getting some work done.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Even though I've never minded the company of a cat, pretty much everyone here in the office besides me is allergic to 'em. On the bright side that there are outside Ferrel cats that wander around the property. I know of at least 2 or 3 for sure that frequent our lot.

I've seen those high pitch things, we havent used them because we have dogs running around. So I'm really not left with much of a choice when the cooler months start rolling around. I have to head to the hardware store and snag a dozen or so wood/metal traps (medieval versions I like to call 'em).

The way I see it, they are extremely crude, very simple and archaeic..... but they get the job done quickly and rarely ever fail when tripped. Thats the way I prefer to do it. I'm the only one in the office that has the guts enough to play with them though, so that sorta makes me the offical Mouse Hunter here.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
No, we don't. I haven't had a problem with mice for ages. My mom wouldn't use traps either, she used drugs that mouse chew on and suddenly they just die.