• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mountain Climbing

tater03

Registered Member
I was just wondering if anyone on here has done mountain climbing? This is one thing that I have to honestly say that I have no desire to try. For one thing the extreme cold up top of those mountains is not for me. I just feel that there is just so much that could go wrong. But I guess it would be like anything if you are prepared and know what you are doing it probably isn't so bad.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I plan to do some of this soon. Right now I am more into Mountain "Hiking" which is similar except no special gear is needed. For example I plan to hike Pike's Peak in the near future and it's basically a long winding trail up 14,100 feet.

I know some people who climb the rockier mountains with cliffs and the possibility of a long deadly fall and that doesn't sound all that exciting to me right now. I'm just starting out though so maybe in the future I will want to take it up a notch. :)

tater03

Registered Member
While enjoy yourself on your hike it sounds like it would be a beautiful hike. I would imagine the scenery and wildlife would be great.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I plan to take a lot of pictures so I'll post them when the time comes. I was just out driving today and saw a good angle of the mountain and there is still a TON of snow on the top 3rd of it. Only a hardcore hiker could do it right now because you'd need to pack serious winter gear from what I can tell.

tater03

Registered Member
I cannot wait to see the pictures. I bet there will be a beautiful view. Cannot say that I would want to attempt either if there is snow at the top.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I won't have any pictures for at least a few weeks but I will be going up the incline again soon (which is a very steep staircase on the side of Pike's Peak that goes about a mile and a half up vertically) and I'll have some pictures of that to post. I'll try to get some good angles of the peak too but it might be hard being halfway down the mountain. :)

ACCER

Registered Member
People often ask me why I climb on mountains. I generally answer "Because I can" or "Because I feel like it".

I'll have to remember to add: For the view!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I love climbing mountains, but sadly I don't get to do it very often living in the Midwest. I've climbed some decent mountains in the Salt Lake City area, mostly long hikes/scrambles. I have no mountaineering experience, but it's something I'd like to get into. I want to climb all the 14,000' peaks in Colorado.

chipinoh

Never climbed any real mountains, but I have hiked extensively in the Grand Canyon. It's a mountain in reverse - the climb occurs when you're already exhausted.

nangel78

Registered Member
There are not many mountains in my area. I have been to the Grand Canyon, but never done real mountain climbing.