• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Motorcycle Helmets

Dabs

Registered Member
The states are trying to make it a mandatory law that requires ALL motorcyclists to wear a licensed safety helmet when they ride their bikes.
Some don't like this idea, some are for it...and to my surprise, there are 3 states that do not have a law instated about having to wear a helmet at all.
Those are Illinois, Iowa and New Hampshire, they don't care if you ride with a helmet or not!
And about half the states have laws requiring certain types of helmets.
So, people are complaining...much like the seat belt issues.....saying they should not have to wear a helmet if they don't want to.
What are your thoughts??

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
We have a strange loophole for the crash helmet law over here - if you're a follower of the Sikh religion, and you wear a turban whilst riding a motorbike, you're not forced to wear a crash helmet.

I find it strange, because if you're going to hit the ground at around 40 MPH, I'd much rather be wearing something that gives me a chance that the ground won't cave my skull in, smashing that rather vital organ we need to make everything work right.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Just playing devils advocate here:
I forget the precise statistic, but a large amount of motorcycle injuries are to the jaw, not the rest of the skull like you would normally think. Even with a racing helmet, the jaw isn't as well protected as say the crown.

And then at least in Massachusetts, a Skull Cap is considered a full on helmet, mostly by the same people claiming the above factoid.

IMO, considering the huge amounts of injuries a rider could take, a helmet could only cover a fraction of them. If they want riders to be safer, they might as well make them wear racing suits with titanium exoskeletons and have an acrylic bubble surround them at all times. Its not much use.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
IMO, considering the huge amounts of injuries a rider could take, a helmet could only cover a fraction of them.
And yet it's the head injuries that are the most dangerous. There's a reason why doctors recommend you get checked up if you suffer any kind of head injury, even minor ones.

A helmet just helps to make sure that the damage to your head isn't as deadly as it could be. It may not be 100% effective, but when I ride a motorbike, I'm already taking a risk. Makes sense for me to lower that risk in any way I can.

Dabs

Registered Member
Head injuries are the biggest reasons a motorcyclist loses his/her life, there's no doubt there.
And riders have stated, they have wrecked years ago, and when they woke up in the hospital, the doctors told them they were damn lucky to be alive.
One guy was shown his helmet, it was cracked, severely....but it saved his life.
It would have been his skull that was cracked that day, had he not been wearing the helmet.
But most riders want to have their own say on whether or not they should be wearing a helmet.
They don't think it should be a law making them wear one.....they want to decide on their own, to wear one or not.
Interestingly...this was a news show btw.....a lady rider told how a large helmet actually makes it harder for her to see when she rides.
It obstructs her peripheral vision......thinking about it, makes sense too~

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Interestingly...this was a news show btw.....a lady rider told how a large helmet actually makes it harder for her to see when she rides.
It obstructs her peripheral vision......thinking about it, makes sense too~
There's pros and cons for both full face and open face. It's why I want to get a flip-up helmet, from what I see it's the best of both.