Motor Trend Car Of The Year 2008. Thoughts?

Sephy

Forum Drifter
Thought I would get opinions of what you guys thought about Motor Trends pick for the car of the year. For those who don't know, Motor Trend has been giving out their Car Of The Year award since 1949, making it the oldest COTY award. It also happens to be my favorite automotive magazine and I respect their opinion a lot, even though I do sometimes disagree with them. This is a great example. While their car of the year choice is a worthy car, it's not what I thought should have won the honors.

I'll sum up their top picks and put their number one pick at the bottom.

This year 18 cars were in the running with 13 judges putting them through their paces. They took them all to the Hyundai-Kia Proving Grounds located in California City, California where they spent 7 days testing all the cars. They test things like acceleration, styling, fuel consumption, handling, feel, comfort, storage, dependability, and much much more. After four days of rough testing, they tossed 10 cars out, leaving a top 8. The cars that were tossed were the:

Audi TT
Chrysler Town & Country
Dodge Avenger
Ford Focus
Ford Taurus
Mini Cooper/Cooper S
Mitsubishi Lancer
Scion xD
Subaru Impreza
Volvo C30

After 3 more days, they decided on their winner. The next few taken out of the competition were the:

Audi A5/S5
Chevrolet Malibu
Dodge Grand Caravan
Honda Accord
Mercedes-Benz C-Class
Scion xB
Volvo V70/XC70

After days of trials the victor for the 2008 Motor Trend Car Of The Year is the new 2008 Cadillac CTS.

I won't lie, I do like these cars and Cadillac has been making huge strides in the last 10 years. The CTS has brought a new light to their side with it's good looks, luxurious feel, and massive power (even from the V6 models). It is sold all across the globe and in different trims. However, I still prefer the old one. It looks more aggressive and has proven itself. Maybe when the CTS-V version of this new one comes out I'll change my mind but until then, while I do think this is a fantastic car, it does not deserve the car of the year.

What are your thoughts?

I'll tell you my pick now, and this is completely unbiased. If you know my taste in cars then you will know just how unbiased my pick truly is. Even though my pick isn't my favorite car or any car I hope to own in the near future, it is what I think deserves the pick.

My pick goes to the new Chevrolet Malibu. Now in no way is this car a throw back to the days of the old Malibu. But when compared to the re-release of this car a few years ago, this new version leaps and strides ahead. With a 252hp/251tq V6 and a great interior and exterior, it's a great car for Chevrolet to market and I think it will do quite well. While all in all I would probably still rather own a Camry, this is the perfect alternative. The Camry got my personal vote last year, but this new Malibu definitely takes the cake this year.

What is your pick?

Last edited:

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I like the CTS. I'll probably get one when I can afford it.

I was surprised the Ford Taurus even made it up there. We had that as a rental car and it sucked ass. Maybe it was a different year or something, but it wasn't great at all.

I heard Volvo's been making a steady name for itself. Never thought Mitsubishi cars were really good though. Good looking, but not the safest ones in the world.

Don't know much about anything else.

Sephy

Forum Drifter
Yeah I don't see why the Taurus was there either.

Volvo has always been known for safety and their recent cars have gotten more luxurious and powerful as well.

I'm not a Mitsubishi fan either but I love the Lancer EVO. The base model Lancer sucks but in it's class it's a great entry level car.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'm impressed with the Malibu too. I really like the re-design, it doesn't look like a compact anymore. I'd consider owning one. (although what I really want is an Impala SS :D)

I would have been split between the Accord and Malibu. I'm something of an Accord fanboy and I really like it's new incarnation. But the Malibu is probably the most "groundbreaking" and I thought that is what MT's COTY was about. The Malibu brings new life to the American midsize/ family car after years of the Big Three failing to produce a viable product. The CTS wasn't a bad choice though.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I'm quite partial to the Town and Country. Revolutionary van. The seats swivel around and a card table pops up. press a button and the seats fold down and under. 2 built in dvd players. Glad to see Motor Trend gave it a show in the awards. of course it had no chance to win, but still....

Colt

Registered Member
I won't argue against the Malibu. I cannot agree with the Caddy as a choice. As I understand it it is loaded with computers and almost everything on it is very hard to work on by the owner. That fact alone disqualifies it in my mind.