• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Motherboard questions

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
If I'm looking to upgrade my power supply, does that affect my motherboard? I will eventually upgrade to another graphics card but to do that I need a new power supply first.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
So far as I know very much so as your MB can only handle so much going it. Do you know the make and model of your MB? How old and how long have you had it?

To be honest I have never heard of a MB blowing due to a PSU but then again I very rarely change a PSU, can I ask why you wish to upgrade it?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Hmm,

I haven't upgraded or worked on the inside of a PC in quite some time so I am not sure of what is currently the best but this looks like an okay Board, my only would be the lack of Ram Support and Processor.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Well my processor will be fine for another year. I have a quad core 2.4 AMD Phenom X4 so I have no issues there. I also have 8GB of ram upgradable to 16 so I'm also okay there. I may get a new rig with my tax refund.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Well my processor will be fine for another year. I have a quad core 2.4 AMD Phenom X4 so I have no issues there. I also have 8GB of ram upgradable to 16 so I'm also okay there. I may get a new rig with my tax refund.
You sound like you have the same kind of rig as me except mine is an Acer. I am presently only running 32x as I am still stuck in my ways and using Windows XP. Is there anything specific you want from a newer rig?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Just more gaming potential but on a budget. I know it's doable and like I said it probably won't happen until later next year but I'm going to try ibuypower.com to build a rig unless you have another suggestion.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Those are some sweet rigs Merc. I know a lot of people use OverClockers in the UK and not sure if you get the same in the US but they seem very good.

In all honest I am moving on from PC gaming and mainly use my 360. When my current rig dies I will likely just use my laptop full time and tablet for on the go.

dDave

V.I.P.
Upgrading to a new power supply should be just fine for you.

All newer PSUs have a 24-pin connector (which you have) and an 8 pin connector (which you don't have). The 8 pin connector is a more powerful replacement to the 4 pin (which you have) and should be backward compatible. Otherwise you can buy a cheap $4 or so adapter for it.

What graphics card are you looking to buy? This will place restrictions on which PSU you can get.

I wouldn't get an ibuypower, for the same price you can definitely build a better rig. While the specs do look nice the hardware they give you is not exactly what I would call quality.

If I were you I would keep your current computer until it actually breaks. You can put a decently powerful quad core in there as well as up to 16GB of RAM. (Assuming that you are running Windows x64)

What case are you using? A lot of the time getting a case that cools more efficiently is a good road to take.

Last edited: