• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Most underrated/ overrated players in the NBA?

knickstape2107

Registered Member
Who is the most underrated player?
Who's the most overrated player?
Underrated- Pablo Prigioni and Jose Calderon
Overrated- Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan

Carmelo Anthony is overrated. Not only does he take many shots(some whcih are bad shots) but he also disrupts the flow of the offense when he is in the game. The Knicks just seem to iso him when he is on the floor. Also, he isn't so great on the defensive end.

knickstape2107

Registered Member
Melo isnt overrated. During the season, he did NOT take too many shots. He was efficient, until he got injured. In the Playoffs, he HAD to take those shots since no one else could score. Melo carried NY in the Playoffs. Melo put up MVP numbers and thats overlooked bcuz he, JR, and Tyson got injured. Melo is a SUPERSTAR. Best scorer in the game, an UNDERRATED defender, and the clutchest player

Joshua Howe

Firstly, I'm just going to add in the 'Melo is not a good defender by any means. He has the tools to be, but he isn't as of right now. That's part of the big problem (among many) for the Knicks and why at this rate they won't win a title any time soon. Also, clutch-est player is very debatable; I'd say CP3 myself. (You've also got Wade, LBJ, Bryant, etc.)

Now, for me:

Overrated: Tony Parker, DeAndre Jordan, Danny Green (Sure I can think of more)

Underrated: CP3, Calderon, Iguodala, Griffin (Also I'm sure I can think of more)

I find that Parker isn't as good as everyone makes him out to be. Sure, he was a big part of the Spurs run at the title this year, but he had lots of help and didn't come up huge at any point other than once; that shot at the end of the clock in Game 1.

Jordan needs to hit free throws to elevate his game. Plain and simple; he can't be on the floor late because he's a risk.

And Danny Green... *grumble* is a scrub who got hot in The Finals and nailed a bunch of treys to make casual fans think he's a brilliant player. Had they even heard his name before that? Probably not.

As for underrated, I think CP3 is one of the most underrated superstars there is. All his work seems to be looked at, nodded at and then waved aside. That's crazy. This guy is a killer, cold blooded in the clutch. He can pick his spots better than anyone, passes better than anyone in the league right now (except maybe LBJ) and makes every single one of his teammates insanely better. His basketball IQ is through the roof. He had an MVP calibre season last year and just looked brilliant running Lob City.

Calderon is a pure point guard (there are few) and he is an excellent shooter. After watching him for years as a Raptors fan, the dude gets no love. He can run the show for you and hit open shots nearly every time. He's selective and a great passer, nearly always in the Top 10 in assists. He holds the NBA record for best free throw percentage in a season. Great pickup for Dallas.

Iggy too, gets less love because people think he can't shoot. He still struggles in that area a bit, but hey, the guy was good enough to make the Olympics, right? He is a superb defender and an amazing athletic talent who will mesh great with Curry and Thompson. Make no mistake that Iggy is a big time player; he's been an All-Star before. Also one of the league leaders in steals at his position, SF.

And Griffin. I like to defend him because, well, his ceiling is so high. Have you seen a big man with his athleticism before? Probably not in a long time. Yes, he can dunk. But he also has the tools to go to work in the post and he's starting to use them. Slowly, but surely. Doc Rivers will push Griffin next season along with Paul, and he WILL play better and learn more. The guy has unbelievable talent and an excellent motor. He brought the L.A. Clippers back to life. He is Hollywood. He helped bring over CP3. He hasn't done nothing for the franchise, people. He's still very young as well. Give him time and he will get even better than he is now; also, I find it hard to call a 20-10 guy, "overrated".

knickstape2107

Registered Member
Melo's D isnt the problem anymore for New York. This year, if Knicks stay healthy ENOUGH, and I think they will, they WILL win the title. Even after the JR suspension. Also, CP3 is NOT underrated. He is considered the best PG in the league. Griffin is overrated. Needs to learn to do something other than dunk

Joshua Howe

You just said the Knicks will win next year's title if they stay healthy. Miami could beat a healthy Knicks team even if they weren't all healthy solely based on defensive tenacity. C'mon, man. The Knicks won't win the title next year.

That's a joke.

knickstape2107

Registered Member
A joke? Guess you did not see the Knicks wins 54 games last season. Plus they added MWP, Barg, Udrih, and TH. Thats no joke. Miami is not New York's biggest problem. Indiana is. Indiana-New York in the ECF.

Joshua Howe

It was, like I have previously said in another thread, a fluke season. Where did those 54 games get them? Oh right. Bounced in the second round. They didn't even make it to the Conference Finals to have a crack at Miami! They couldn't even take the Pacers to 7 games!

World Peace is washed up. If you think Bargs will save you, I may die laughing (no joke) and Udrih and TH are not game changers in the long haul.

You're wrong here again. Indiana is Miami's biggest problem. If you don't think that the Heat are the team to beat, then you've got a lot to learn about basketball. Poke your head out of that Knicks-filled hole sometime. They are back-to-back champs with a serious chance to three-peat. Indiana is Miami's only true threat in the East other than Brooklyn (maybe).

You should be more worried about the new look Nets taking down your Knicks in the playoffs this coming season, because it very well could happen. The Heat are on a whole other level compared to the Knicks. The Pacers are ahead of them too.

knickstape2107

Registered Member
MWP is washed up, yet KG and Pierce aren't? Also, yes, the Heat are the team to beat RIGHT NOW. But that doesn't mean they will win it all. The Heat just won the title and they deserved it. The Knicks' season was no fluke. And what about D Rose and Chicago?? U forgot about them. They are LEGIT, just like the Knicks.

knickstape2107

Registered Member
I know basketball and know what I am talking about. You do too. We have differing opinions and no one is stupid. Because I don't think Miami will win it all, I'm stupid now? You clearly implied it. It really doesn't matter what we say now, anyway. All that matters is what happens starting October 29th. Can't wait for New York to prove you wrong.