Most recongnize athlete?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I was wondering who you guys think is the most recongnize athlete of all time? What I mean is lets a say a person that doesn't watch any sports, or knows nothing about sports, but you mention Michael Jordan, and he'll say he played in basketball.

I personally think it's Muhammad Ali. I bet almost everyone knows who he is, because what he has done in his lifetime, everyone knows that he went to jail because he refused to go in the war, and he has so many famous quotes. He's an icon, and I believe that he's one of the most recongnize atheletes of the world.

And I believe this is one of the most famous pictures of all time.

[​IMG]

2. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

Well it is very hard to select just one out of the numerous people that went the distance in their sports. All sports have their great man but I think the most famous of all time would have to be Lance Armstrong. He was in my view a very couragous man and one that was true to his sport and never did anything to butcher his great name. He is a legend in the hearts of many and his legacy in the sport of cycling will live on forever with his countless strides to be the best. He is an inspiration to a young generation much like this one and I think we all have to respect what the man done.

3. TBT

TBT Guest

Well, everywhere except in North America it has to be Diego Maradona and Pele, the two greatest soccer players. Tiger Woods is one of the most recognizable athletes on the planet. Shaq is very recognizable. Hmm... Lance Armstrong also definitely as Andrew said. David Beckham? Of course Michael Jordan as you mentioned in your first post. Michael Schumacher could also qualify. Muhammed Ali, and Roger Federer.

4. andrew_bishop

Well now that Beckham is playing in North America I think he will become a house hold name to alot more people in the States. He is becoming more of a name and I don't think that will stop. Now with the whole "slap shot" scandle with Gretzky and his wife I think alot more people will know his name and his business and even in nations that people do not know much about hockey people will be talking about this guy. Personally I find it bad to talk about one mistake and were not even certain that he is in the bet ring or not. We just go by what the media tells us. There is not much talking about it over the last little while but I think that we have not herd the last of it. Also alot of the WWE superstars more so Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker are becoming big names all around the world with the popularity of the WWE and all the causes they go to like Iraq with the troops over the last few years and their more than a few visits over the year.

5. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Just by population alone, I'd say it's Yao Ming. Babe Ruth also pops into my head.

6. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

I'd problably go withTiger Woods and Shaq with all the endosments they have their popularity spreads throughout the world.

7. patkick

patkick #21

I'd say Ronaldinho is probably the most recognized athlete in the world right now. His typical smile and facial features are very unique. Add the fact that soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

8. andrew_bishop

It really goes by the sport and the amount of publicity that the athlete recieves. I mean if he is a 4th liner playing hockey in Russia he would not be said unlike somebody who say is a legend in the game here in Canada. It is with this that I must also say that Terrell Owens has to be on the list. He is playing a very popular sport all around the world and he is probably the most talked about person in the sport but not for that great of reasons. Also Brent Favre has to be there. He is talked about a great amount and his career is legendary all around the world.

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Ronaldihno is a great choice, but I wouldn't put him on the top maybe in Europe but not in North America, because even thoug soccer is a popular sport it's not extremly popular here in North America, and if you mention his name to a few people a lot of them wouldn't know who he is.

Terrell is a good choice, because what he has done on the field and off the field, he's always on the news for something he has done, but once again, if your not a football fan you won't know who he is.

10. andrew_bishop

Well again we'll all have our choices depending on the sports we find appealing. Other than David Beckham I'd never be able to identify a soccer player as im sure a lot of people from Europe can not depick a hockey player because their sport of choice is much different than mine. Were all going to have to choose some differences amoung the athletes but I think that one we can all agree on is Hulk Hogan. I mean the WWE is a popular sport worldwide maybe the biggest around overall and Hogan is the main stay of the WWE. Despite he is now departed and gone his trademark orange and yellow or his famous sayings will live in the hearts of many for years to come. He is a symbol for all sports and easily a reconizeable athlete.