• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Most Pup-ular Dog Names

Dabs

Registered Member
According to the VPI....Veterinary Pet Insurance.....the top 10 most popular dog names based on policy holder queries for the year 2005 are:

1. Max
2. Baily
3. Buddy
4. Molly
5. Maggie
6. Lucy
7. Daisy
8. Bella
9. Jake
10. Rocky

Does your poochie have a popular name??
Or something unusual??

Bananas

Endangered Species
I find those names boring. Im also not keen on calling animals common human names as it can lead to some awkward situations, I once had a girlfriend and a horse who shared the same name.

My current dog is called Madoc btw.

Dabs

Registered Member
I find those names boring. Im also not keen on calling animals common human names as it can lead to some awkward situations, I once had a girlfriend and a horse who shared the same name.

My current dog is called Madoc btw.

~Lmao, sorry about your girl and your horse sharing the same name.....kinda funny..sorry, but I can laugh about now, right??
I mean, you did say "I once had".....
And your choice for your dog's name now is very unique, I like it!!!

Bananas

Endangered Species
~Lmao, sorry about your girl and your horse sharing the same name.....kinda funny..sorry, but I can laugh about now, right??
I mean, you did say "I once had".....
It was a long time ago but it was funny then too, confusing at times but funny. I didnt mind but I did feel she held a little resentment towards that horse(& me).

And your choice for your dog's name now is very unique, I like it!!!
Its also a play on words and the kids in the village call him Mad Dog .....which is apt as he is.

Dabs

Registered Member
try a foreign name. pets can understand it?

Hellifiknow......what good would that do, if I couldn't understand it??
I'm not too good with foreign names.

redroses

Registered Member
if i ever got a doggy i would call a boy jasper and a girl sky

i have a guinea-pig now wich is called laser
i called her this as me and my now ex boyfriend bought her together and it is both our names combined lol (sad i know)

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Yep, my dog has the number 1 popular name. The breeders had named his sire Alexander the Great. I wanted to keep in line with the Roman theme, so I named him Maximus "Max" Lucius, which means great light. I thought it fit him well, as he is a yellow lab.

And in the years that followed after giving him that name, he's certainly been a great light to me.

RATTIE

Registered Member
Our dogs are called Zara and Lucy.
They both still have the names they came with.

We tried new names with Zara but the only one we (and Zara) thought she suited was Sally, which is the name of my Mother's almost identical looking dog. So obviously no.

We got Lucy a couple of years later but her original home isn't far from my Mother's, just around the corner actually.
Since they have children and Lucy technically ''belonged'' to one of the kids we thought it would be confusing and hurtful to change her name.

As it happens though, our first Ratties were called Molly and Lucy and we later took in 2 girls, one of whom I called Daisy. I called her sister Poppy. <:3 )~

trixiechi

Registered Member
Love this thread! I am a petsitter and that list posted by OP is pretty right on. Although I do see my share of unusual names. My basset hound is named Macie (she came to us as Miss Mason) so I kept it close. I have a chihuahua named chichi...so original! Wasn't supposed to be that but that's what we just started calling her. I love the name Pixie or puppet. I just finished sitting for a dog named Bedlam! But he was so sweet! I have another client named Fang (he was a teeny puppy and they thought it was funny).