Most pressure

Most pressure? (read post before voting)

• Batter, Game 7 of World Series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • free throws to win championship

• field goal to win championship

• putt to win major or Ryder Cup

• Other (explain)

• Total voters

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What do you think is the most pressure-packed situation in sports? Vote in the poll and explain your answer.

These are the options I came up for the poll...

1. Pitcher in Game 7 of the World Series. Bases loaded, two outs, bottom of the 9th. Your team is up by a run.

2. Batter in Game 7 of the World Series. Bases loaded, two outs, bottom of the 9th. Your team is down by a run.

3. Taking a penalty kick to win the World Cup.

4. Shooting free throws to win Game 7 of the NBA Finals or the NCAA championship game.

5. 40+ yard field goal to win the Super Bowl or BCS Championship.

6. 5+ foot putt to win a major or Ryder Cup.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I'm torn between pitching for the world series and kicking for the world cup.

I thought about pitching because you're nervous as hell, and you need to still throw a ball with accuracy at a tiny little target with just as much strength as normal. You could very well throw a wild pitch, a ball, hit the batter, etc.

I also thought about the penalty kick because first of all, you're representing your country. There is a bigger audience. I'd imagine being consistently accurate with your legs is harder than being consistent with your arms. Soccer fans are insane.

I'd probably go with the world cup.

teron

Registered Member
I"m gonna go with kicking the field goal 40+.

There are so many things that can go wrong, and if they do go right - its all on your shoulders. Roll your foot too far right and open faced the ball says wide, too far under gives you loft instead of distance.

I didnt fully appreciate it until I tried back in high school - holy hell was it hard.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I also thought about the penalty kick because first of all, you're representing your country. There is a bigger audience. I'd imagine being consistently accurate with your legs is harder than being consistent with your arms. Soccer fans are insane.

I'd probably go with the world cup.
I agree with this, including "soccer fans are insane". :lol:

And it's very quick. One swift kick and a long sentence awaits you. Definitely not proportionate. You're the only one to blame if you make an error. True, you can say "the goalkeeper was good that's why it was blocked" but GK would always say that if it's really a good kick, it will pass. :)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I gotta go with the penalty kick to win the World Cup. It's the world's biggest sporting event and it only happens once every four years. Over a billion people watching. Not only is your team depending on you, but your entire country is as well.

Vegito728

Registered Member
Being a pitcher I'm gonna go with pitching in game 7 of the world series. To be in that situation would just be unreal.

As a kid it's actually something you dream about oddly enough. At least I know I did, and still do for that matter.

Last edited:

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I might be slightly biased because of my love for baseball but I picked being a pitcher in game 7 of the World Series. The pressure is always on the pitcher and not the hitter. He has to make the perfect pitch in a smaller area to get that guy with bat, out.

I understand the soccer one being voted on but I just think they have more to shoot at...the net is so big. The pitcher has to hit a spot and then hope they dont hit a good pitch.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
On the other hand, having a bigger net just adds pressure. Imagine if you miss? Some people will think more you're an idiot "with all that space he can get the ball into, how could he have missed?" :lol:

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
On the other hand, having a bigger net just adds pressure. Imagine if you miss? Some people will think more you're an idiot "with all that space he can get the ball into, how could he have missed?" :lol:
Touche, ysabel. I'll always remember when Baggio missed high against Brazil and that won them the World Cup in 1994. It's hard to believe missing such a large target. But with that said I think if you compare hitting a huge net and hitting a spot to a hitter and hope he doesn't hit it somewhere; there's more pressure with the pitcher.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Since I was a pitcher in high school, I'll admit I'm biased and I'll say pitching in game 7. But I agree with Vetigo, that's a situation most would love to be in.