• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Most overrated/underrated video games

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What would you say is the most overrated/underrated game(s) since the year 2000?

For myself, and obviously this is only my personal opinion, but I always thought Halo was overrated. I just don't see the fascination others do when they play it. And, if I'm correct, some say it's the best gaming franchise of all-time - which to me couldn't be furthest from the truth.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Overrated: Call of Duty, Lego Star Wars or other Lego games, Madden.

Twitch

Registered Member
Overrated: most franchise fighting and racing games. I can see releasing new racing games to up the graphics, but at this point it should be near life-like. They only have to generate a track, a car, and a small surrounding area. For fighting games, they're all pretty much the same to me. Other than SSB, which is more arcadey, I don't play them much.

Underrated: I can only think of one off the top of my head because I played it relatively recently - Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. I hadn't even heard of this game, or the rest of the series, until it came up as a free download on Xbox. Definitely not for everyone, but it was very, very fun and really engrossing. Only complaint would be no real replayability, but there are more games.

thealigator

Registered Member
I have never got into the Halo or Gears of War franchise, I am quite certain they are good games but they just don't hold any real appeal to me. As for underrated I really think the Just Cause series does not get the credit it should. In terms of the story they are a little "meh" but in terms of gameplay and physics they are fantastic.

Twitch

Registered Member
I have never got into the Halo or Gears of War franchise, I am quite certain they are good games but they just don't hold any real appeal to me. As for underrated I really think the Just Cause series does not get the credit it should. In terms of the story they are a little "meh" but in terms of gameplay and physics they are fantastic.
I was actually considering posting about Just Cause, but I felt they're just getting more and more popular. I hadn't even heard of the first one, got the second on a lark and played it for goddamn hours. Once I heard the third was coming out I couldn't wait.

thealigator

Registered Member
I was the same Twitch, I played JC2 and thought "why am I only just playing this now". JC3 was a little repetitive but I still enjoyed it.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Underrated: I can only think of one off the top of my head because I played it relatively recently - Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. I hadn't even heard of this game, or the rest of the series, until it came up as a free download on Xbox. Definitely not for everyone, but it was very, very fun and really engrossing. Only complaint would be no real replayability, but there are more games.
Oh man, I gave up on Sherlock Holmes after the first 30 minutes. I think it may have been because the game is a bit slow paced. I think I never really gave it a fair shake, though because I bought it from the PSN store around the same time I bought WWE2K16 and Fallout 4. Gorgeous graphics on the PS4, though. Might be time to go back and give it a go again.

Anyways, for overrated I'd say Call of Duty. I hate them. Hate every single one of them. It's all about people wanting to be their own personal Rambo and cool; to each their own. But it's definitely not my cup of tea.

Underrated: Valiant Hearts. This game is beautiful. The soundtrack is beautiful, the story is great, the art work is fantastic and if you're a history buff, you'll love it for the educational value that it comes with.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Overrated: Skyrim. No matter how many chances I gave this game, I always ended up quitting. I'd make it a dozen or so hours in and just get bored. The thousands of bugs didn't help matters any.

Underrated: Singularity. One of my favorite first person shooters ever. I loved this game from start to finish, especially the story but critics weren't as crazy about it as I was. Oh well, their loss.