• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Most memorable TV moments

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes, I know I'm posting this in Other News, just want it to be about News stories and not television shows.

Sony and Nielsen did a study asking people what their most memorable TV moments were, based on what they remembered watching, if they recalled where they watched, who they were with and whether they talked to other people about what they had seen.

Here are the top 20.

1. Sept. 11 terrorist attacks (2001).
2. Hurricane Katrina (2005).
3. The O.J. Simpson verdict (1995).
4. The Challenger space shuttle explodes (1986).
5. Death of Osama bin Laden (2011).
6. The O.J. Simpson White Bronco chase (1994).
7. The Japanese earthquake and tsunami (2011).
8. Columbine school shooting (1999).
9. BP oil spill in Gulf of Mexico (2010).
10. Princess Diana's funeral (1997).

11. Death of Whitney Houston (2012).
12. Capture and execution of Saddam Hussein (2006).
13. Barack Obama Election Night speech (2008)
14. Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton (2011).
15. John F. Kennedy assassination (1963).
16. Oklahoma City bombing (1995).
17. Bush/Gore disputed election (2000).
18. Los Angeles riots, Rodney King beating (1992).
19. Casey Anthony murder trial verdict (2011).
20. John F. Kennedy funeral (1963).
Having Whitney Houston's death there and not Michael Jackson's is kind of stupid. Can't really disagree with the top choice. I know I was glued to the television when it happened. I also watched the White Bronco chase when it was happening.

Also, I remember watching a lot of coverage of Princess Di's death since my mother really likes her.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Its clearly skewed toward the digital generation. Some of the 2011 things I've never even seen: Casey Anthony and Prince Williams. Most people have clear memories of what they saw and heard of things like landing on the moon, the Nixon resignation and the Berlin Wall but can't quote a single line from Katrina, BP oil spill or Obama's election night speech. I think 9/11 was the most memorable tv event ever though. The things I saw and heard on tv on that day will never get out of my head.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can't say any one thing really sticks out in my head above everything else. A lot of the top 20 was tragic but some of them I never saw or cared much about trying to. I'll never forget what I was doing on 9/11 and watching the news seeing those planes going into the world trade center. Hurricane Katrina was a disaster that was made worse by governments poor response to it. I guess I'll never forget that.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
9/11 sticks out to me more than anything else. I was glued to the TV for what seemed like days after it happened. Some of the other things I watched also, the white Bronco chase, the OJ Simpson trial, news on Katrina, I never watch any royal weddings or funerals though.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
How on Earth is the Moon landing not on this list?? I understand it's a poll taken from a contemporary audience and whatnot, but the Moon landing should default right to the top just on sheer historical importance!

I don't mean to play down the significance of certain events to people today, but the reality is that in 100 years, nobody is going to care about presidential assassinations or terrorist attacks - They're going to look back and say "This is the era that mankind went from the sea to the Moon. I wish I had been alive then to see it."

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
How on Earth is the Moon landing not on this list?? I understand it's a poll taken from a contemporary audience and whatnot, but the Moon landing should default right to the top just on sheer historical importance!

I don't mean to play down the significance of certain events to people today, but the reality is that in 100 years, nobody is going to care about presidential assassinations or terrorist attacks - They're going to look back and say "This is the era that mankind went from the sea to the Moon. I wish I had been alive then to see it."
I agree with you. My parents constantly talk about watching the Moon landing on TV back in '69, where they were and what they were doing. I have to agree that incident, from a perspective of historical significance, would be the biggest one.

Impact

V.I.P.
Wait, the Boxing Day Tsunami isn't on that list?

I agree with quite a few that are on there though - 9/11 (obviously), death of Osama, Japanese earthquake/tsunami, and BP Oil spill to name a few.

I can't believe Whitney Houstons death made it up with all those actual catastrophes. I mean sure it's sad, but making a most memorable TV moments list? Just no.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Top three are spot on. I don't think any celebrity death should've made it... but if one HAD to, it should've been Jackson's. I heard/saw that a ton more than I did Houston's.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
No offense intended towards you on this one, Pretz, but I'll have to disagree with you on that one.

I'm sure John Wilkes Booth, were he alive, would be glad to hear that no one remembers him or cares about what he did.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
1. Sept. 11 terrorist attacks (2001).
7. The Japanese earthquake and tsunami (2011).
9. BP oil spill in Gulf of Mexico (2010).
10. Princess Diana's funeral (1997).
11. Death of Whitney Houston (2012).
12. Capture and execution of Saddam Hussein (2006).

Okay so out of those listed the ones above are the ones that I remember the most. The other ones I've heard of, but were either before my time or not very big in my country so I didn't watch/hear about them as much when they happened.

Some big ones for me that aren't on that list were the Black Saturday bushfires and the Queensland floods. Black Saturday especially was a major one for me since it happened in my state and was so devastating. Everyone was glued to the TV and radio constantly for that week, hearing about how all the fires were progressing, watching the footage, listening to tales of survivors etc.