Most & Least Applicable Sports Team Names?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Mirage, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

What sports team do you think has the most applicable name?

For example, the LA Lakers used to be the Minneapolis Lakers, which made sense because there are actually lakes there. Right now they'd be a bad candidate for this title.

A better example would be something like the Houston Rockets. NASA is in their backyard and the name just works.

What team or teams do you think have names that really fit them? What teams do you think have terrible names when it comes to relating to their location?

2. browneyes106

browneyes106 Registered Member

Most applicable team names
    San Francisco 49ers
    Minnesota Vikings

Least applicable
    Utah Jazz

3. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

The Red Sox where red socks. :D

The Patriots are a good fit, the Patriots were from Massachusetts. :D

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Memphis Grizzlies is bad. Baltimore Orioles is good.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Montreal Canadiens was good before, because when the team first took the ice it was full of Canadians, and it remained that way since the late 70's. Now there's a lot of european players and American players as well.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I would say San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Cowboys are good, as are the San Francisco 49ers..

Chicago Bears? Are there bears in Chicago? (Other than in the zoo of course), LA Lakers, Utah Jazz.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  7. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I like St Louis Blues because of the history of St Louis and Blues music...I love that name.

Quick little personal bias pick right there haha

8. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I always laugh at the utah Jazz one... I mean I know its 'cause the team was moved originally... but still you'd think they'd change the name.

Another one that I laugh at is the Toronto Maple Leafs... not that Maple Leafs dont fit, its just the fact that its a big ol' grammatical error of a name :hah:

I think my favorite team name is actually the Manitoba Moose.