Most Important Gaming Console of All Time?

Most important gaming console ever?

• SNES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sega Saturn

• Playstation

• Gamecube

• XBOX

• Playstation 3

• Nintendo Wii

• Total voters

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Which gaming console do you consider the most important of all time?

Important I mean "influencial". Basically, which gaming console had the biggest effect on the gaming industry?

I'm torn between the NES and the N64. The NES revolutionized the home videogame industry, which was very new at the time. Sure people had Atari's but I don't think anybody expected home based videogames to become as big of an industry as Hollywood. The NES was definitely very important in paving the way for the future of videogames that we know today as "the billion dollar videogame industry".

That being said, the N64 did something that the SNES and previous videogame consoles did not manage to do. Capture the attention of casual gamers. I think the N64 is to the 3-D gaming era as the NES was for the 2-D gaming era.

The N64 completely revolutionized the gaming industry by making 3-D gameplay mainstream. Sure Sega Saturn did it first but not anywhere near to the extent of the N64.

I don't think we've seen a system since the N64 that had a greater effect on the gaming industry. The original XBOX was huge for online based gameplay but aside from that it isn't responsible for much beyond continuing where the N64 started.

The Nintendo Wii has been huge for attracting non-gamers and casual gamers in ways not seen since the N64 days. It's way too early to declare it the most important gaming console of all time though.

My vote goes for N64.

I am torn between the Atari, the NES, and the Playstation.

The Atari kicked the entire thing off by first bringing gaming into households. It is the start of it all. The NES, though, took that and ran with it thanks to far better processing power and a wider variety of games. The Playstation, on the other hand, made gaming mainstream by appealing to a far larger audience, and not to mention it was the first system to use CDs.

The N64 did jumpstart 3D gaming, but it is also considered by analysts to be a huge failure for Nintendo. Their choice to stick with cartridges over CDs lost them alot of developer support (most notably Square) and it was far less popular than the SNES before it.

All in all, I think I have to go with the NES. It was what was needed to revive the gaming industry after the big crash that occurred in the 80s.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am torn between the Atari, the NES, and the Playstation.
Interesting considering Nintendo actually made the original hardware for the Playstation. From what I've heard Sony contracted Nintendo to build the Playstation for them. Nintendo was originally planning to go with a CD based console but instead sold the rights to Sony. Was the original Playstation more popular than the N64 though? If it was I'd have a very hard time believing that considering the huge popularity of many Nintendo 64 games including numerous "Game of the Year" titles.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I do have to go for the NES, simply because of the video game crash. Nintendo came up with a way to bring back interest in gaming, and look how we've come from there.

However, I always wonder if things would have been different if Jack Tramiel hadn't been a twat and Atari had released the 7800 as planned.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
That's not really a standard I think we're talking more about the console itself. The 64 was great, but the NES did revolutionize home gaming, just like the Wii.