• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Most important defensive position

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
In your opinion, what is the most important defensive position on the field?

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Bizzy said:
In your opinion, what is the most important defensive position on the field?
Great question! I really have to say that it's somewhere between C, 2B, 3B, SS, and CF. I guess if I had to choose, I'd take a Gold Glove 3B or SS over a Gold Glover in one of the other positions I mentioned.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I'm going with the catchers position. Not going to start a JPA hatefest but look how many games his passed balls cost the team. Not only that but how dominant as the Cardinals been with their all star/gold glove receiver Yadier Molina

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Carther controls the game... the pitches, the position of the pitches... they can set of defensive traps just by pitching a guy on the outside to make him hit it right field.

Next has to be 2B and SS - They are the biggest part of the majority of double-plays.

For me, it's the shortstop. Even in youth baseball, in every game I played, the best defensive player and best athlete always played shortstop. He's basically the general of the infield.

DrMiraculous

I would say catcher too, but in the name of moving the convo forward I am gonna go out on a limb and say first base is the next most important position.

Lots of teams have good outfielders, shortstops and other infield guys, but if your first sacker cant glove the ball its a bad sign for pennant hopes!

First base defense is under-appreciated, and alot of the best plays go unnoticed or expected. First basemen aren't always the most athletic players, but they are usually the best at putting the ball into the glove, which is the essence of defense.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
DrMiraculous said:
I would say catcher too, but in the name of moving the convo forward I am gonna go out on a limb and say first base is the next most important position.

Lots of teams have good outfielders, shortstops and other infield guys, but if your first sacker cant glove the ball its a bad sign for pennant hopes!

First base defense is under-appreciated, and alot of the best plays go unnoticed or expected. First basemen aren't always the most athletic players, but they are usually the best at putting the ball into the glove, which is the essence of defense.
I do agree in sense. The first baseman probably receives more baseballs than anyone in the field(not including the catcher here). He needs to be able to pick balls from the ground which is no easy task. He needs to be quick with the tag. I do agree that the first baseman always gets under-appreciated defensively. But, you notice a lot of them pride themselves being great with the glove and not just the bat.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
It is an undervalued position but wouldn't you say it's the easiest one to learn? Just to mention a few examples, coaches who don't want their star catchers to lose shelf life on their baseball careers get shipped to first base. Positional players who're really struggling at their respective positions move to first base and do relatively well. They do put in a lot of work but they learn relatively quick.