Most Guantanamo detainees are innocent: ex-Bush official

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Steerpike, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

Here is a link to the complete article.

Most Guantanamo detainees are innocent: ex-Bush official

What do you think about this?

Here is an admission of torture by the United States under the George W. Bush Administration.

Anything in the article is fair for discussion.

Discuss.

2. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

The soldiers in Iraq are being pulled out. Now will happen to these soldiers? They will be stationed in Afghanistan, the next big terror threat to the States. I doubt innocent prisoners will ever be released, the media might have a walk in the park but the government would use propaganda to cover up.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

The new American President, Barack Obama, has said that Guantanamo should be closed. What sort of people deliberately hold innocent people and also torture them?

Did you notice this bit?

Not only did the George W. Bush Administration torture people, but they also did not intend on giving them fair trials.

4. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

This is a big "no shit" to me, it was clear from the start that some of the people Bush had detained were not terrorist or related to terrorism. I say hold a trial for them all and release the innocent ones.

5. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

There was actually a guy from where I live who was an immigrant from Iraq who left in the mid-90s because of Saddam Hussein's leadership. He opened up a hookah lounge. After Saddam Hussein was taken out of power, he moved back to Iraq to live with his family and got a job working at the office of an American contractor. He calls in sick on the same day the office gets attacked by a bomb, and is taken in as a possible enemy combatant and sent to Guantanamo Bay. His innocence was proven, yet he still spent two years there before being released. This is a man who hated Saddam Hussein and was an upstanding American citizen for roughly a decade, and he's held without trial for two years with absolutely no evidence.

The problem is that the soldiers would round up anyone they thought might have been a terrorist or working with the terrorists and ship them to Guantanemo bay. Soldiers aren't police detectives, and there was barely any follow through at all to determine if any of these people were actually who the military thought they were.