• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Most flyers don't want cellphone ban lifted

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
WASHINGTON - As federal regulators consider removing a decades-old prohibition on making phone calls on planes, a majority of Americans who fly oppose such a change, a new Associated Press-GfK poll finds.

Poll finds most flyers don't want cellphone ban lifted - CBS News
I don't fly myself, believe it or not I've never been on a plane and don't want to, but I can see why people wouldn't want this lifted. Trying to sleep and the person next to you can't shut up or their phone constantly ringing. That would be so annoying. I was wondering what people that do fly thought about this ban being lifted?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would like to be able to text on my phone but I don't want this changed if it means people are going to get to make phone calls.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
This may sound like I am going down some kind of a fascist communist route that is simply not plausible but I would like to have more mobile phone bans and rules as to where it is and is not acceptable to use a phone, a couple of examples if I may:

Busses: I drives me frigging nuts when I have to listen to some loud mouth moron (usually a chavvy teenager) shouting and carrying on whilst using their phone, it annoys me so much I just want to run up to them grab the phone and shout at them to shut up, there is no need to be as loud as some people are, I hate taking calls on the bus, I find it embarrassing.

Restaurants: In most cases people go to a restaurant to relax, have a nice meal, maybe a good bottle of wine and to enjoy each others company, they are not there to constantly here BEEP BEEP BEEP or BUZZZ, BUZZZ, BUZZZ, it's intrusive and irritating and if you have to answer your phone take it outside, I would never dream of talking a phone call at the table because A; I want my privacy & B; it's rude to other people.

So to sum up I say keep the ban in place...

Casioking

Registered Member
I think people should be able to use their phones anywhere they want..
on a plane, On a train, on buses, in pubs and in the bathroom.. its their phone. its their money.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I don't think this ban should be lifted. Like others have pointed out, it's annoying being in an enclosed space you can't escape from and having to listen to someones conversation. Until people learn etiquette and consider those around them, I agree that the rules should stay as they are.

Just imagine being on a plane for 20 hours where everyone is allowed to talk on their phones at any time? No thank you!

Last edited:

Casioking

Registered Member
i can sleep with someone hitting me in the face with a brick so it would not make me care at all...

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Busses: I drives me frigging nuts when I have to listen to some loud mouth moron (usually a chavvy teenager) shouting and carrying on whilst using their phone, it annoys me so much I just want to run up to them grab the phone and shout at them to shut up, there is no need to be as loud as some people are, I hate taking calls on the bus, I find it embarrassing.
In my city people talking loudly on their phones while on trains was getting to be such a problem, and annoying for so many people that they introduced "quiet carriages". Now there's one quiet carriage where you can't be noisy, and the rest are normal ones so you can choose where you want to sit.

I think that's a cool idea. Wouldn't really work on a plane though, they aren't exactly split up into carriages. I'm with the others, texting would be okay but phone calls shouldn't be allowed.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm in favor of keeping the cell phone bans on airplanes. I wouldn't mind texting or browsing the web or whatever, but people talking on phones in confined public places like an airplane or train is one of my pet peeves. They know damn well that the people around them don't want to hear their stupid conversation, but they just don't care. Selfish assholes.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think that they should have a no talking rule on planes. It would be nice to be able to browse GF or text while on a plane though.

Contrary to somewhat popular belief, phones cannot screw up the instruments and make a flight dangerous. Does anyone honestly believe that they would let you keep your phone on your person if there was even a small chance that was true? I've heard that there's a phone service ban on planes because it's too hard for the carrier to triangulate the signal and thus they can't keep track of how many minutes or bandwidth you're using.

I don't think this ban should be lifted. Like others have pointed out, it's annoying being in an enclosed space you can't escape from and having to listen to someones conversation. Until people learn etiquette and consider those around them, I agree that the rules should stay as they are.
So... never? :lol:

danwiz

Registered Member
I say keep the ban in place.

Here in Japan there are little stickers on the walls of all trains and buses which say "use manner mode while on the train (bus) and do not talk on the phone". If you are in the handicapped area you are requested to turn your phone OFF!! This is great. Of course there is always the a-hole that breaks the rules, but it's not common and people all look at him with that "if looks could kill" look that makes the talker feel like a piece of s--t. Quite often somebody gets a call (manner mode), answers it, and simply says "I'm on the train" and hangs up.

I suppose that the average person on a plane would act like a total a-hole and have no manners at all. Therefore - keep the ban in place.