• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Most Earth-like planet ever discovered

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Kepler 438b is likely to be a rocky world in the ‘Goldilocks’ zone of its parent star where the temperature is just right for liquid water to flow

Most Earth-like planet ever discovered – Kepler 438b – could be a cozy home for alien life
I think this is great, one more planet that could be suitable for life. Maybe they don't receive the same amount of light that we do but that doesn't mean life couldn't evolve there. Life exists on our own planet under some pretty harsh conditions like on the sea floor around those hydrothermal vents.

What I am really waiting for is the day they discover life on one of these planets. I feel sure it is there its just going to be hard to find with our limited capabilities.

Thoughts?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Great, first you clutter up my outposts, now you've found meh home!
And by the way it ain't K438b, it's Gallifrey!

- Cham

dDave

V.I.P.
I think this is great, one more planet that could be suitable for life. Maybe they don't receive the same amount of light that we do but that doesn't mean life couldn't evolve there. Life exists on our own planet under some pretty harsh conditions like on the sea floor around those hydrothermal vents.

What I am really waiting for is the day they discover life on one of these planets. I feel sure it is there its just going to be hard to find with our limited capabilities.

Thoughts?
How exactly would we go about discovering life on these planets? I suppose vegetation is one thing, intelligent life is another. If someone was looking at earth from 500 million light years away they would be able to see our plant life from their vantage point but certainly no intelligent life.

If there really is life on other planets then I think it will be discovered relatively soon.

Getting to other planets is the real obstacle to overcome though.

Great, first you clutter up my outposts, now you've found meh home!
And by the way it ain't K438b, it's Gallifrey!

Eh, what?

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
How exactly would we go about discovering life on these planets? I suppose vegetation is one thing, intelligent life is another. If someone was looking at earth from 500 million light years away they would be able to see our plant life from their vantage point but certainly no intelligent life.

If there really is life on other planets then I think it will be discovered relatively soon.

Getting to other planets is the real obstacle to overcome though.
I'm thinking that if there is intelligent life we could possibly detect their transmissions. If another race was looking at earth they would probably pick up our old radio broadcasts or possibly our night time lights. If it is just microbial life then we would have to go there to find anything.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm thinking that if there is intelligent life we could possibly detect their transmissions. If another race was looking at earth they would probably pick up our old radio broadcasts or possibly our night time lights. If it is just microbial life then we would have to go there to find anything.
True, but there's no telling how advanced (or lack thereof) life on other planets would be. Our radio waves could mean absolutely to others across the universe, it might be technology that they don't use.