Most Dominant Athlete

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Major, Jan 28, 2008.

?

Most Dominant Athlete

1. Roger Federer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tiger Woods

100.0%
  3. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

A recent espn.com poll question inspired me to make this thread. The question was something like "Who is the more dominant player in his sport?" and the options were Tiger Woods or Tom Brady. I thought it was completely ridiculous that they'd even try to compare Brady to Woods.

So who is the most dominant athlete in sports today? I think there are two guys you could make a strong case for. Tiger Woods and Roger Federer.

Federer has won 53 titles, including 12 grand slams. He's won five straight Wimbledons and four straight US Opens. He's been ranked #1 in the world for a record 208 consecutive weeks. He's second on the all-time list for most grand slam titles, only two behind Pete Sampras who won 14 in 13 years. Federer has won 12 in the last 5 years. Like Sampras, Federer has never won the French Open.

Tiger has won 62 PGA Tour events (5th all-time) and 13 majors (2nd all-time). He's won 4 Masters, 2 US Opens, 3 British Opens, and 4 PGA Championships. He's 13-0 when going into the final round of a major with at least a share of the lead. He's one of only five players to win all four majors, one of only two players to win all four majors more than once, and the only player to win four majors in a row.

Federer is amazing, but my vote has to go to Tiger. Golf has historically been a much more difficult sport to dominate, especially for as long as Tiger has done it. The scary thing is he's only 32 years old, which is the prime age for a golfer. He still has at least another 10 good years in him. He's going to shatter every record.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Tiger gets my vote as well, he's been dominant all his career but in the last few years he's been almost perfect. It doesn't matter if he's down by 5 strokes going into the third round, he'll shoot a 65 to take the lead. His last few years remind me of his 2000 year where he was at his best.

The difference between him and Fedderer is that some tennis players have the mentality that Fedderer can be beat, unlike Tiger's opponents, 75% of the people think they don't stand a chance when he's in the tournament.

Here's a quote from a player that played against Tiger:

To me he's the most dominate player in sports, and there's no one like him, and he's keeping the sport aline in my opinion.

3. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Does Woods even have any comeptition here?

Did you see that monster put where it hooked back towards him for birdie? The man is amazing, and still getting better. He's already five years ahead of the youngest player to reach 62 wins (I can't remember who it is, but they were 37.. Tiger is 32).

4. RTWmaniac

RTWmaniac Registered Member

I hate golf, but I think Woods is the obvious choice. Any other golfer of the same generation has been shafted, big time.

5. Babe_Ruth

He just tied Arnold Palmer in career wins, I believe he's like 30 away from getting the most tournament wins. The funny thing about it is that this guy hasn't even hit his prime yet, just wait till he hits 35, that are usually when golfers hit their prime. It would be even more scarier in a couple of years from now.

What I'm scared about is that he quits because he doesn't have any competetion and just doesn't enjoy playing anymore. I doubt it will happen because he's a huge competetior and loves the game way to much, but hopefully he'll play till he's not capable of doing it anymore.

6. Major

I can't see him quitting any time soon. Golf is his life. He's been playing ever since he started walking. And like you said, he just loves to compete. He definitely wants to break all the records. I think he'll play until he feels he isn't competitive anymore, just like Jack Nicklaus did.

7. Babe_Ruth

See the only reason why I said that is because when Woods had his first child I thought he was only going to play only at Major events, but I was wrong. Now he's winning by eight strokes, his opponents are saying that they cannot win against him. I am just thinking if this keeps up he'll just get annoyed and quit. Hopefully that's not the case, and I'm wrong, but deep down, I believe he won't play as long as Palmer and Nicklaus played.

8. federer

federer New Member

TIGER vs.ROGER - WHO IS MORE DOMINANT?

Golf and tennis are the only 2 individual sports that have 4 majors a year. Tiger won his first major in 1997. From 1997-2007 he has won 13 out of 44 majors a winning percentage of 29.54%. Roger won his first major in 2003. From 2003-2007 he has won 12 out of 20 majors a wining percentage of 60%. Tiger is age 32 and Roger is age 26. Roger owns 50% of the majors on the COMBINED ATP Tour. Tiger owns ? percentage % of the PGA Tour? Roger Federer is 2 majors away from being tied for THE ALL TIME MAJORS RECORD IN TENNIS. Tiger is 5 majors away from being tied for THE ALL TIME MAJORS RECORD IN GOLF. Imagine Tiger trying to win the British Open for the 6th year in a row or for that matter any major. In 2008 Roger Federer will try to win WIMBLEDON for the 6th year in a row. Now that's what I call DOMINANT on GRASS! Finally, Tiger Woods and Pete Sampras called Roger Federer THE MOST DOMINANT ATHLETE ON THE PLANET. Moreover, Tiger said " What Roger has done in tennis is more than what I have done in golf". You may disagree, but ask yourself this question? Do you know more than Tiger or Pete when it comes to the subject of BEING DOMINANT IN A SPORT?

9. Major

Perhaps you should consider the fact that it's easier to win a tennis tournament than it is a golf tournament, which means that golf is a more difficult sport to dominate.

There are 27 male tennis players that have won five or more grand slams.
    There are 18 male golfers that have won five or more majors.

Most tennis players retire around the age of 30, while most golfers are able to stay competitive well into their 40s.
    Like I said, Tiger has a lot more time to break the record than Federer does.
    It's not unheard of for a tennis player to dominate a certain surface. Sampras won 6 Wimbledons in 7 years. Nadal has 3 French Opens in a row, and won 81 straight matches on clay, which is a record for any player on any surface. How many French Open titles does Federer have?

Even the great Jack Nicklaus only won the same major twice in a row one time, winning the Masters in '65 and '66. Tiger already has four back-to-back wins in majors, in three DIFFERENT majors (PGA '99-00, Masters '01-02, British '05-06, PGA '06-07).

Why does it matter what Tiger says? He's not the kind of guy to brag about his accomplishments and say he's the most dominant athlete in the world. Tiger probably knows as much about tennis as Sampras knows about golf, which isn't much, so I don't put any stock into what they think.