Most Countries Fail to deliver on Hati relief pledges.

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Ilus_Unistus, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

"Only four countries have paid anything at all to the commission: Brazil, Norway, Estonia and Australia.

The United States pledged $1.15 billion to the commission. It has paid nothing."

Former US President Bill Clinton is leading the way to collect from all these "dead beat" governments, yet, his own country has not paid... really??

Full article.
    (I do not like to use CNN news but was the first I saw to say basically the same as the News station I just noticed this on.)

Most countries fail to deliver on Haiti aid pledges - CNN.com

2. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Foreign aid to Haiti

It would seem that the CNN article references only governmental aid promised to the "Interim Haiti Recovery Commission" it doesn't include all the aid from other nongovernmental sources nor the aid provided to other individuals, groups, or agencies

3. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

No surprise. Governments fail to get the job done and charities (mostly Christian) step in and provide relief.

4. anmracing

anmracing Registered Member

Yet more Cool-Aide force fed to the world to try and convince everyone that America is arrogant and evil??? A broke ass government that sends relief aide to other countries. A government that can barely keep it's own people out of poverty? On the edge of being a third world nation ourselves?????? LOL!!! :lol:

It's not the American people that are arrogant, it's the government! The private sector always steps up for other countries and yet we are the most hated people on the planet. But if the USA decides to be isolationist, the way they should be, then people would be crying about that..... Food for thought......

The government can't make everyone happy, the private sector can't either so we are screwed but we do what we can......:D

I wonder how correct this spreadshee is??? Hit it!

5. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

I think this is the "Promised Pledge" for each country, which only 4 have paid to date. Here is another link that shows more details if you like.

I only know of the Estonia and the Baltic states have given approx 400 million Euro (530ish million USD) in government pledged and private donations to date.

I have been looking for the private donation amounts per country but can not seem to find anything. I am can only imagine America's private donations though are among the highest.

Haiti earthquake aid pledged by country: full data | News | guardian.co.uk

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  6. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

My feelings on this are 'These promises were made for the 2010-2011 fiscal year, so get back to me when the that's closer to being over'.

Remember, all of this money is gifts. Yes, if you promise it to someone, you should follow through on that, but it's completely up to the donor to decide how and when they want to give it. They're still within the timeframe, so I see no problem with anything (yet).

7. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Actually, interestingly enough this is not so. Most Christian charities end up being thrown out of countries for their religious bias.

I agree with Wade. I've seen a lot of claims against the Haiti campaign and it's ridiculous. The year isn't even out. I know the UK has given massive amounts of money, aid, medicinal supplies, etc. It's amazing in it's own right, but haters are gonna hate. There's not much you can do about it.

8. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Yeah, when it comes to government aid.. fuck it.. I wouldn't trust it for shit.

I for one don't care though, because I donated so I know I did my part into helping them out the best I could.

9. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Under normal circumstances this happens some, but during emergencies Christian groups are almost always let in. Groups like World Vision and Salvation Army can mobilize much faster than others.

10. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

I suppose that would depend entirely on the charitable organization, really.