• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Most Americans blame Bush, Wall Street

Tucker

Lion Rampant
A new nationwide poll of 979 random respondents, 33% of them Democrats and the rest Republicans and Independents, was released yesterday and indicates that very few Americans are placing primary blame on the President for current US economic woes.

Source: Scribd

Most to Blame for the Condition of the Economy

Bush Administration 26%

Wall Street 25

Congress 11

Obama administration 8

all of the above 7

There's no glitch or Leftist media trickery in the polling, like it or not. The margin of error is +/-3%. But a mere eight percent singling out the President, in a poll group where Democrats are outnumbered two to one; this strikes me as very low. Why do you think more people on the Right aren't placing ownership for the economy on Obama, this far into his term?

Last edited:

BigBob

Registered Member
I agree, but I blame it mostly on the war now. Had we not gone to war, we wouldn't have had to spend all the money on the war but I do believe we should've pulled out by now which could've cut the deficit but that's for another time.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
979 people polled? That's an extremely small sample. There are over what? 311 million people in the US and 979 should give anyone an idea of what most of them are thinking?

I've never been one to put much stock in polls no matter who did them. Sure they're pretty good at getting a general idea but to think they're rock solid evidence seems silly to me. I also have no idea how these conclusions were reached. Recently I got a phone call from a "pollster" on the healthcare in the US and especially Texas. She actually started arguing with me and asked "Don't you think it would be better if everyone had access to healthcare?" What am I supposed to say, no? But if I say yes, then my response would be construed to mean I agree with the ACA. I laughed at her and said I wasn't answering anymore of her loaded questions and hung up. Point being, these polls can be very misleading.

That said, I wouldn't find it surprising to find most people blame Bush for our economic problems, most people don't know what they're talking about. Case in point, not too long ago we had a salesman selling "Hope" and "Change" and even though it turns out it was snake oil, there are people lining up to buy more as the salesman comes back into town.

The US economy, and the world economy, for that matter is far too complicated to point to one man or one thing that causes ups and downs. Sure there are things Bush could have done differently that would have changed things just like there are things Obama has done that has retarded any growth back, but that doesn't mean it's all President X's or President Y's fault.

President Obama keeps trying to kid the American public that simply raising taxes on the rich will solve everything just like the Republicans keep trying to fool the American public that spending cuts will solve everything.

There are numerous factors that contributed and do contribute to the US economy now. Things Congress has done, things Bush did, things Obama is doing...to blame it on one person or one entity and ignoring everything else is the conclusion reached by the ignorant.

Last edited:

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
979 people polled? That's an extremely small sample. There are over what? 311 million people in the US and 979 should give anyone an idea of what most of them are thinking?
Actually from a statistical standpoint that sample size is adequate to make a generalization of the what the population thinks, if the distribution is normal(it is actually larger than necessary). Factors like demographics and region would also be factors to consider to get a more accurate representation whether they did that would be a concern (e.g. 600 of the people polled were from 3 states or something).

That aside, most Americans are idiots and want to constantly misplace blame. This is a perfect case of that, in fact they are doing it with Obama on some issues.

I don't think Bush was a good president (definitely think he was a poor one) but that was because of his neoconservative policies, and his educational program of no child left behind.

In terms of the economy the president doesn't have much control over that unless he issues sweeping economic policies; which Bush didn't really do.

What purpose does the poll really serve besides demonstrating that Americans like to blame past political officials for present complex problems. Blame the president for what he can control, not what he can't.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Actually from a statistical standpoint that sample size is adequate to make a generalization of the what the population thinks, if the distribution is normal(it is actually larger than necessary). Factors like demographics and region would also be factors to consider to get a more accurate representation whether they did that would be a concern (e.g. 600 of the people polled were from 3 states or something).

That aside, most Americans are idiots and want to constantly misplace blame. This is a perfect case of that, in fact they are doing it with Obama on some issues.

I don't think Bush was a good president (definitely think he was a poor one) but that was because of his neoconservative policies, and his educational program of no child left behind.

In terms of the economy the president doesn't have much control over that unless he issues sweeping economic policies; which Bush didn't really do.

What purpose does the poll really serve besides demonstrating that Americans like to blame past political officials for present complex problems. Blame the president for what he can control, not what he can't.
Yeah, I can agree with you in that it can give you a generalization of what people think. To conclude it's concrete evidence I would disagree with.

I agree with in regards to blame. This is an example of that, and people do blame Obama for things that he can't control.

I do think there are things the Bush administration did to add to the economic problems we have, much like Obama has done as well. I just don't think you can point to one man, or one act, or one administration.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Many of the things Conservatives blame Obama for are things that we expect to create giant problems in the future - they might not have done much of anything yet.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Maybe he isn't blamed because those Republicans polled have the common sense to know the POTUS can't be entirely at fault. Whereas the participating Dems are quick to blame not because it's reality, but because they hate. We saw it during the whole Bush term, and that partisanship sprung up a continued battle.

Now that we DO have the economy crisis, the actions that Obama DOES take will define him in HIS future too. Basically he needs to be very business-friendly to inspire hiring!!

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I can pull a poll that says something completely different: 49% Blame Bad Economy on Bush's Recession, 44% on Obama's Policies - Rasmussen Reports
According to the Rasmussen poll, we are evenly divided.

Diving deeper into the verbiage of the two polls. The New York Times question reads as follows:
q13 Who do you think is mostly to blame for the current state of the nation's economy ?1. the Bush administration, 2. the Obama administration, 3. Wall Street and financial institutions, 4. Congress, or 5. someone else?
The Rasmussen reads:
1* Some people say the nation’s current economic problems are due to the recession which began under the Bush Administration. Others say the problems are being caused more by the policies President Obama has put in place since taking office. Which point of view comes closest to your own?
So, why do people not credit Obama with the poor state of the economy in the first, but do in the latter? Perhaps the first is interpreted as Who got us in this mess? while the second is interpreted as Whose policies have kept us in this mess? I don't know, I will have to think on it.

Every approval rating for Obama right now is very low though and the state of the economy is the number one concern, so I tend to think there's something going on with the Obama at 8% blame. That doesn't add up.

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Cool, but those respondents were asked a different question that was crafted to get a different result. It's not a valid comparison.
------
President Obama keeps trying to kid the American public that simply raising taxes on the rich will solve everything just like the Republicans keep trying to fool the American public that spending cuts will solve everything.
This evenly non-partisan tone is a rare and welcome sight in MD. it sucks that I have to kill the mood by introducing the actual numbers, which are nothing at all like what you've apparently been led to believe. The Democratic budget proposal was composed of 83% spending cuts and 17% loophole closures and tax increases. Republicans, who had a similar proposal on the table of 85% cuts and 15% loophole closures and increases, suddenly rejected their own measure and switched to a plan made up entirely of government program cuts which clearly would never have majority support. It's intentional gridlock for the sake of ideology, plain and simple.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Cool, but those respondents were asked a different question that was crafted to get a different result. It's not a valid comparison.
------

This evenly non-partisan tone is a rare and welcome sight in MD. it sucks that I have to kill the mood by introducing the actual numbers, which are nothing at all like what you've apparently been led to believe. The Democratic budget proposal was composed of 83% spending cuts and 17% loophole closures and tax increases. Republicans, who had a similar proposal on the table of 85% cuts and 15% loophole closures and increases, suddenly rejected their own measure and switched to a plan made up entirely of government program cuts which clearly would never have majority support. It's intentional gridlock for the sake of ideology, plain and simple.
That's a good point, but I wasn't talking about budget proposals. I was talking about what Obama proposes to reduce our debt and what Republicans propose.

What Obama keeps trying to sell the American people, that taxing the rich will solve our problems, won't reduce our debt. Republicans, as you pointed out, simply offer cuts in spending. That won't reduce our debt either.

I will say our top marginal tax rate is at it's lowest percenrage of GDP in a very long time, and I actually do think we should increase it to some extent. I don't think that's problem solver however. But it is a start.