Most accurate Bible?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Stegosaurus, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Stegosaurus

Stegosaurus Registered Member

For years I have noticed differing translations between people talking about Biblical texts, and I have run into this problem trying to talk about stuff like Job 40 and 41 saying that a behemoth could be, "possibly the hippopotamus or the elephant," and the Leviathan being called, "possibly a crocodile," in this NIV text, but others interpreting them as dinosaurs etc... etc...

So, what is considered the "most accurate" translation. Or, what Bible is your preferred version, and why?

(I want to buy a new Bible because I want to read, circle points of interest, and make some margin notes the same way I do with other books on religion/spirituality/mythology/lore, but I do not want to go with a version that is "less preferred." lawl)

idisrsly likes this.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Some very popular versions are the New International Version (NIV), New American Standard Version (NASV) and the New Living Translation (NLT).

New King James is also very popular among more traditional crowds, and of course there is the original King James for all ye who prefereth thee's and thou's.

Personally I go with the NIV but I have been thinking about getting a NLT next since I have read the entire NIV.

Boredie likes this.
  3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I have the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV). I have no idea how it compares to the others, but it seems pretty easy to read and I like it.

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I know a lot of people that use the Message bible, they like it because it makes easy comparisons to modern things.

I like to use the NIV myself because it's written in a style that we're all used to reading, not only is it easy to read and understand myself, but it's also easier to talk to others about it.

I always thought that it would be cool to get the 1611 KJV and read it all the way through, there's a few translation differences that I remember being pointed out.

As far as most accurate in the sense of absolutely as close to the original as possible you might try "The Comparative Study Bible" by Zondervan.

But there's no inaccurate version of the bible (until you get into stuff like the Quran or the book of Mormon, I've heard people call those the bible before, so I'm just clarifying))

Also remember that there's a Catholic bible, some books were removed because of questionable accuracy in a lot of translations being talked about here.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I've heard from many pastors that the New American Standard Bible version is the most literal translation.

New American Standard Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, it should be pointed out that some Bibles aren't translations, but are paraphrases/etc.

Also, the footnotes are just somebody's guess, and not scripture (I think many versions have odd footnotes when it comes to Behemoth/Leviathan - for that matter, apparently Behemoth is supposed to be a giant Ox according to Jewish tradition, and that doesn't make sense to me either).

6. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

You need to take into account that there is not one bible that has been translated accurately, but have been interpreted according to the authors.

My own opinion on the matter is that if you want a really accurate translation of the English bible you need to look up Jewish sources since they knew Hebrew and are most accurate in their explanations of difficult passages.

Mirage likes this.
  7. Ramman

Ramman Registered Member

The Latin Vulgate of St Jerome Circa 380 AD and approved by the Catholic Church under penalty of Anathema at the Council of Trent.

All Protestant Versions are erroneous.

All Protestant sects would have their false versions of Scripture (The New Testament) by which to base their false religions on (Sola Scriptura) Were it not for the Catholic Church.

An English translation with proper exegesis can be the Douay Rheims (Haydock or Challoner. ) I use either.

8. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I've heard people swear high and low that the King James 1611 is the most accurate version. I personally like the NIV myself as well, but I have a Comparative Study Bible, which has four versions - NIV, KJV, NASB and AMP, which might be a good idea for you if you want to study the bible.

Use it, don't use it. Works for me!!! Warning though - it's thinker than almost all the Harry Potter books together!!! LOL

9. Ramman

Ramman Registered Member

The King James Bible is atypical Protestant error. Not worth the paper its written on.

10. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

Ramman I'm Catholic as well, so you and I are probably reading the same Bibles. That being said, this thread (and the Religion forums in general) ARE NOT in place to insult people and their beliefs, but to share ideas and debates.

That being said, I'm Catholic and we do believe that our version is correct...but if the same messages of the New and Old Testament are getting out and enriching peoples' lives, should it matter?

Stegosaurus likes this.