• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mortal Kombat

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So, 04/19/11...will anyone be picking up the new Mortal Kombat?

For those that don't know, it's somewhat of a 'series reboot,' and yes the title is simply "Mortal Kombat." It seems to have more of a focus on the MKII setting (which is great, because it was my favorite game of the series).

I was surprised that I or someone else hadn't made a thread for the game! Hands-down, this is my favorite video game series of all time.

The new game kind of goes back to a 2D fighting system (still with 3D graphics) from what I understand.

I actually pre-ordered the Kollector's Edition tonight off of Amazon.com (pre-orders come with a classic MKII-style costume for either Reptile, Scorpion, or Sub-Zero depending on where you buy them)...can't believe I had waited this long!

Thoughts on the game? I'll post some videos/info another time.

Konshentz

Konshentz
This is a rental for me.

I was a huge MK fan back in the day, MKII also being my favorite. As the series went along, it wore on me and I found myself less and less excited for each new release. I don't know how I feel about this. I've pretty much turned my back on fighting games, but there's definitely a part of me that still wants to play it.

Merricles

Registered Member
I am very much looking forward to this game. Like you, MK2 was by far my favorite one. MK3 and MKT were fair too. When they went 3D and then RPG they really lost me. When I heard they were 'rebooting' the series I was very glad to hear it. Especially since they are returning to the 2D fighting style. However, I will probably wait to get it until after I return home. I want to be able to sit and enjoy it. I hope it is a good game.

Merricles

Registered Member
Here is some more MK news. Rather than 'link' the site I got it from I'm simply going to copy and paste.

Warner Bros. Digital Distribution and Machinima.com today announced they have signed an agreement to premiere and distribute the highly anticipated “Mortal Kombat: Legacy” live action digital series produced by Warner Premiere. Directed by Kevin Tancharoen (“Fame”), and starring Jeri Ryan (“Star Trek: Voyager”) as “Sonya Blade,” Michael Jai White (“The Dark Knight”) as “Major Jackson ‘Jax’ Briggs” and Darren Shahlavi (“300”) as “Kano,” this series will take gamers deep into the history of the warriors they know and love.

The first action-packed episode of “Mortal Kombat: Legacy” will debut April 12 exclusively on Machinima, the dominant entertainment network for videogamers on YouTube (YouTube - ????? machinima). Fans from around the world will be able to watch and engage with the entire “Mortal Kombat: Legacy” series through Machinima’s YouTube channel.

"With over 500 million monthly video views and 50 million monthly viewers, Machinima has the world’s most highly-engaged gaming audience, which makes this agreement with Warner Bros. such a great fit," said Allen DeBevoise, Chairman and CEO of Machinima, Inc. "Mortal Kombat is an epic franchise with a rich story and characters, we’re truly excited to bring 'Mortal Kombat: Legacy' to our community. With our global scale and reach, we can now drive greater engagement and viewership than anyone for entertainment properties that fit our young, male-centric demo. Kevin’s new incarnation of the Mortal Kombat franchise is precisely the type of world-class, high-octane action content that our audience will love.”

Kevin Tancharoen who directed and produced the popular, unofficial “Mortal Kombat: Rebirth” fan short, is bringing the same immersive directing style to this live-action digital series. Kevin Tancharoen who directed and produced the popular, unofficial “Mortal Kombat: Rebirth” fan short, is bringing the same immersive directing style to this live-action digital series. “Machinima is the perfect entertainment destination to premiere the series,” said Kevin Tancharoen, Director, Producer and co-writer of “Mortal Kombat: Legacy.” “They have a massive audience of gamers from around the world. We worked very closely with NetherRealm Studios and Ed Boon, and we’re now putting the finishing touches on the episodes. I’m confident we’ve stayed true to the Mortal Kombat lore and am hoping the fans will be blown away by what they see.”

Also on April 12, in a lead up to the series premiere, Machinima will host Kevin Tancharoen and cast from the series in a special live event. Details will be announced on Machinima.com soon.

Written by Kevin Tancharoen , Aaron Helbing and Todd Helbing, “Mortal Kombat: Legacy” is an anthology of nine live action shorts, and brings to life the motivation behind each character’s participation in the Mortal Kombat tournament. Each episode will provide never-before-revealed insights into characters featured in the upcoming videogame as well as the game’s universe.

The latest iteration of the award-winning videogame, “Mortal Kombat," marks a triumphant return to the series’ mature presentation and a reinvention of its classic 2D fighting mechanic. Driven by an all new graphics engine, the fan favorite Fatality is back and presented in more gory detail than ever before. In addition, “Mortal Kombat” introduces a number of new game-play features including tag team and a deep story mode. “Mortal Kombat” is being developed by NetherRealm Studios, led by “Mortal Kombat” creator and creative director Ed Boon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I'm really looking forward to picking up the new Mortal Kombat. I just got done playing the demo and it looks flippin' awesome. Mileena and Scorpion look fantastic in it.

viLky

ykLiv
I'm going to wait a month or two and see how people like it before I decide. I'm on a continuous path looking for the next best fighting game. Right now, I'm on MvC3, and it is a wonderful game. Could use a few balancing issues, but other than that, I consider it one of the best fighting games currently out. Will Mortal Kombat 9 top it? Only time will tell. ^.~

BigBob

Registered Member
I played them demo and I've got to say that this is my favorite Mortal Kombat yet. It definitely brings back the familiarity from the first couple before they tried to make them free-roam type of combats.

Merricles

Registered Member
I'm going to wait a month or two and see how people like it before I decide. I'm on a continuous path looking for the next best fighting game. Right now, I'm on MvC3, and it is a wonderful game. Could use a few balancing issues, but other than that, I consider it one of the best fighting games currently out. Will Mortal Kombat 9 top it? Only time will tell. ^.~

Just as the new Star Trek was not officially ST 11, this is not MK9. It is just Mortal Kombat. A reboot from my understanding.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm really looking forward to picking up the new Mortal Kombat. I just got done playing the demo and it looks flippin' awesome. Mileena and Scorpion look fantastic in it.
They do look pretty awesome...can't wait to see them and a ton of the other characters.

This is going to be your next best fighting game, lol, I have a feeling...online play looks really cool. It has a feature in which your avatars from Xbox Live (or different ones for PS3) are in a lobby watching the match that's going on. They can give props for good moves, "neg" people for being too repetitive in their move selection, cheer, throw tomatoes at the screen, etc. It reminds me of standing my an arcade machine back in the day.

I played them demo and I've got to say that this is my favorite Mortal Kombat yet. It definitely brings back the familiarity from the first couple before they tried to make them free-roam type of combats.
I still need to get the demo, Bob...I've got the game coming via amazon, though, so I might just wait. Still you're making my mouth water lol. Who's available to play as?

Yeah a big focus of this game was getting back to the basics, 3Dish graphics but 2D fighting again. While I didn't mind the newer games, I'm happy about that. Better formula for success.

Just as the new Star Trek was not officially ST 11, this is not MK9. It is just Mortal Kombat. A reboot from my understanding.
Yeah, it's a reboot. It's like a modified version of MKII from what I understand; the character stories I've seen are true to history but are tweaked in small ways.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I used to be a massive fan of the beat um up genre but once I started getting into the Smackdown franchise I stopped playing them. I think I just got bored of how quickly it was over, in wrestling games its just that little more un-predictable. I have just watched a couple of videos on amazon though and it does look very good.

On a side note one of my local Gamestation store's has a competition going (I believe on release day) where if you get the highest score on the game you can walk away with a full arcade size MK machine which would obviously be very cool :D