Mortal Kombat has too many characters

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by viLky, Jun 17, 2009.

1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Last I heard there are 63 characters. That's just insane considering that they just stuck a different color on a Scorpion costume and called it Rain, color (robot) Smoke red and called him Sektor and how many look like Goro? 3? It's just too many for a fighting game.

Now, what is the limit when creating characters? When they start recycling characters and using different moves and color schemes? Yes, but is there even a sooner point? Would creating characters after you have the original characters be considered to many? I dunno, I don't have the answer. All I know is that I loved playing Mortal Kombat games, and that it sucks that you have all these filler characters slowly ruining the game.

Am I being too harsh? What do you think about the mass amount of characters being created in these video games. Not necessarily Mortal Kombat, but Street Fighter and other fighting games as well.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009

2. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I agree that MK has a ton of characters and that a lot are dups. But Reptile was actually supposed to be a mix of Scorpion and Sub Zero, which is why he's green. If I had to guess, I'd say that Rain was supposed to be a mix, too. I can't seem to recall any red costumed fighters in MK, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I actually heard that MK: Armageddon was supposed to be the last MK that had all the original characters and that they were starting over from scratch after that because there are too many characters. But then they came out with MK vs. DC and I thought that one absolutely sucked. The graphics were pretty good, but DC didn't want their heroes and villians to die or murder so the fatalities were all extremely lame. And that's what I think separates MK from any other fighting game out there.

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I believe Ermac was red. The dude could summon Noob Saibot to fight with him. At least that's what he did in the MK2 movie. Haha

I'm just trying to picture all the ninjas in MK: Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Ermac, Rain, Chameleon, Noob Saibot (when he had that black costume) and Reptile. That's all I can place at the moment. Crazy, man. Just crazy! >.<

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  4. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Yea, but Ermac came after Rain. Who knows. But I like that even though they look like the same character with a different color, they still all have some sort of a story.

Ermac is the shit, though. The physical form of th combined entity of Shang Tsungs collected souls.

Here's a picture of all the characters up to and including Armageddon. There's a bunch that I can't name. Like the guy that's probably supposed to be Johnny Cage infront of Reptile and Baraka.
    [​IMG]

5. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

So far I only know about Scorpion, SubZero, Liu Kang, Sonja, Jax, Reptile, Johnny Cage, Rayden, Goro and Shao Khan.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Maybe if I ask nicely Midway will give me a character:

viLkyzor

Move set:
    -Punch
    -Run
    -Fetal position
    -Summon Chuck Norris

o_O

That's a cool picture. It show so them all (at least I hope that's all of um). That's crazy. I understand that they need to keep the game interesting so they created more characters, though I do think they need a good ol' fashion RPG created out of this game. I'm a dork like that. I want everything an RPG. =P

7. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

You can't get rid of Ermac at least. He's been in the game since the beginning...technically.

The term Ermac is short for "Error Macro". In the original MK arcade version, in some audit menu, there was a listing for "ERMACS". At some point, people heard about this and thought it was a hidden character. The rumour got so big that Midway removed the listing in the 4th chip upgrade.

In MKII, if you complete the game, you'll see the message "CEAMR ODSE NTO EXITS". Looks like bollocks, but it's an anagram, which reads "ERMAC DOES NOT EXIST" when descrambled. Furthermore, hidden character Jade appears randomly before a match with the message "Ermac who?"

Yet rumours still persisted, so in the end they brought him in for Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 as a pallet-swap.

8. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

Isn't that Stryker from MKII or maybe MKIII?

I've really only played the first three, the Sub-Zero solo game and Deadly Alliance. So, looking at that picture, I might be able to name 20.... maybe.

I don't really mind that many characters, as long as they aren't all in one and these is some sort of story for each. Hm, that might be too much. Ha.

9. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Yeah, Johnny Cage is behind Cyrax and to the right.

10. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I went through that picture and could only for sure name 19 people. It gets ridiculous. I stopped playing after UMK3 because I think that was the last half decent one.