• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Morsi condemns video and the violence

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
But he says the video "insulted the Prophet Mohammed"

Morsi remarks on Mideast violence - BlogPost - The Washington Post

You know what I never hear? While he does not condone the attacks on the embassies, why aren't the thugs who sodomized and killed 4 Americans "insulting to the Prophet Mohammed"? While he's not condoning or accepting that reaction, why isn't the reaction insulting to Islam?

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
If someone were to make a video of Christ getting butt-raped by a big sweaty guy who was screaming "This is what I think of you and your religion!!" while American flags burned in the background, and the reaction was for a fundamentalist Christian person/sect to go gun up the local atheist club, would you turn around and at any point say Hey, that video wasn't so bad or offensive, I kinda liked it even?

I already know I can find plenty of threads right here on GF where Christian members have denounced Christian violence without denouncing the motivation.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
If someone were to make a video of Christ getting butt-raped by a big sweaty guy who was screaming "This is what I think of you and your religion!!" while American flags burned in the background, and the reaction was for a fundamentalist Christian person/sect to go gun up the local atheist club, would you turn around and at any point say Hey, that video wasn't so bad or offensive, I kinda liked it even?

I already know I can find plenty of threads right here on GF where Christian members have denounced Christian violence without denouncing the motivation.
That's not the point though. The vast majority of Christians wouldn't say "the video was insulting to Christianity" to excuse the reaction.

The problem I'm having, and what I want explained to me, is why is the video condemned as insulting to Mohammed, but the reaction isn't? If Morsi felt that it was, shouldn't he point that out to try and quash further violent reactions?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
You would think the burning, looting and killing would also be insulting to Muhammad. I guess that's fine as long as Muhammad isn't insulted. I don't understand how someone can see murder as less of a offense as the movie or the burning of the Koran.

Frenzy

Registered Member
You know, I agree with you CO 100% and by the examples given I also agree the Christian faith in general would not be offended to the point of murder if Jesus or even God were depicted in a similar light such as this video has depicted Muhammad.

I have a friend who moved with his family when he was around 15 years old to the US from Egypt. Now in his 40's and a friend of mine for about 15 years now he and I have discussed Islam a bit. I think most people understand Islam in Christian form and that is where it all goes wrong. There are major differences from Islam to Christianity and not just in text form.

To believe or have faith in Islam is nothing like Christianity in the sense Christians for the most part understand the Bible is progressive and it was meant to be that way. What was once considered correct can be changed by progress. Islam is much more extreme to the point to have faith in Islam you must accept that the Qur'an is verbatim the word of God and not subject to change, ever. In our world (western) man made laws may over ride the Bible, in the world of Islam, the Qur'an over rides any man made laws.

In closing, Islam is a religion with firm regiment that over rides any man made law, whereas Christianity is a religion of interpretation and how deep one devotes him/herself to it is up to that individual. I'm not sure this is of any help, but I think the point I want to make is we should try to understand others point of view before making judgment, even with something as horrid as the 4 American lives that were lost.

Also please understand I am not defending what was done, just trying to pass along some info. And my personal opinion on the attack(s) is they had little to do with the video to begin with, I believe they were planned.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Muhammad must not be a big enough prophet to take insults as his followers feel the need to fight his battles. If I see a store or a comic or a movie insulting Jesus, I silently boycott them. I believe Jesus is plenty big enough to handle someone like Bill Mayer however He chooses and as long as he stays away from me and my family, its not something I have to worry about. Most Christians feel the same. Morsi makes Muhammad look like a very small god.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I also have a problem with not condemning the reaction. The reaction is often more telling of a person/group that the cause itself. I don't think the majority of people ever realize that.

dnno1

Registered Member
You know, I agree with you CO 100% and by the examples given I also agree the Christian faith in general would not be offended to the point of murder if Jesus or even God were depicted in a similar light such as this video has depicted Muhammad...
But, there are a great number of so called Christians who would murder a doctor or bomb a clinic because they performed abortions. So, what is your point?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
There are a "great" number? Really? How many exactly and what evidence do you have to support this number?