Morning-After Pill

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Nosferatu_Alucard, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

Should emergency centraception ("morning-after pill") be banned?

It's an easy means of abortion. If taken within 120 hours of unprotected intercourse it will work great. Many of the morning-after pill arguments will be similar to abortion arguments.

People should be allowed to take the pill because it's their body, their choice. Some of the people taking the pill didn't want to get pregnant in the first place. They could have been sexually assaulted, but they wont get the pill just because the Catholic church doesn't want them to. What kind of crap is that?

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

The morning after pill should be legal, in line with the idea of choice. Often, it is taken when people using birth control responsibly had issues (broken condoms). Also it helps with sexual assault and other sudden cases, like date rape.

If pharmacists wish to not stock it because of their values, they must realize how they jeopordize their own integrity as people dispensing life-helping drugs and refusing not to.

3. Moiraine

Moiraine Guest

While I do think the morning after pill should be made available, my only concern is people will think it is an ordinary method of birth control when it should only be used in certain situations after other methods, such as condems failed or in the extreme circumstance of rape. Maybe more people need to be educated on ways to of effietive contraceptive since in my opinion some people are not prepared to protect themselves should passions get carried away and lead to sex.
    Furthermore, I don't think the Catholic Church affects every Catholic. It tends to be the latin american catholics who strictly follow what the pope says, while more modern Catholics will tend to be more educated on things and understand that the church can move slowly at times. And while it can prevent the newly formed zygote from attatching, at that stage it is not much different from a failed conception and it is impossible to tell exactly how the pregnancy was prevented. That in my view makes it slightly different from an abortion where you are fully aware that a baby has been concieved.

4. Sgt Schultz

Sgt Schultz Guest

What medicines are available to the public should not be dictated by religion because it offends someone. Don't want to use the medicine, fine don't take it but don't take away the choice for someone else who doesn't follow your religious beliefs.

5. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I'd agree with what you've said but I don't think it's that simple. I think that this is fast becoming a right to life -vs- abortion argument, in which there is grounds for a legal question to be raised.

Hoosier.

6. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Why did they have sex in the first place without the condom if they didn't want to carry the baby. But, I think that every single mother who made a baby while with her boyfriend/husband and don't want the kid yet, shouldn't have the pill because they could have thought strong and long about this. And for the ladies who have been sexually assaulted by other men should drink this because they don't want someone else's kid. So, my point is, the Morning After Pill should only be legalized to the Assaulted cases.

7. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

People could argue forever about which stage of the pregnancy is the person growing inside a woman really a living and breathing being, some say it's quite a few months in the pregnancy when the fetus looks like a baby (in which case the morning after pill is obviously useless), others will say it's right at stage one when the pill can be used.

It's not just a case of 'Oh forget the condom let's just do it!' it's also a case of bursting condoms or women (in a secure relationship/marrage) miscounting on their period map and accidently becoming pregnant.

8. Moiraine

Moiraine Guest

Well if they are a married couple, shouldn't they be willing to take the possibility of creating a time every time they have unprotected sex? I think a women miscounting in a married relationship, or any situation really, and then realizing she may get pregnant would be a misuse of the pill. Women should know how unpredictable mentrual cycles can be, and depending on prediction to keep from getting pregnant is a very risky method of birth control.

9. indieinmich

indieinmich Guest

The pill isnt the problem.The abortion isnt the problem.
    The question shouldnt be what do we do with this life now that it is growing?The question should be how do we stop the life from growing in the first place?
    We need better sex education in our schools stressing BOTH abstinence and prevention.

As to this morning after pill I have one question: Is it still wrong or abortion when there isnt even proof of life yet?
    We arent talking about oops I missed my period better go down to the drug store.We are talking about a day or two later.For me this pill is a Godsend for those who are anti abortion and for any women whom ever made a mistake and didnt want to have to face that awful choice.

10. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Well, many people religiously must rely on the rhythm method, or have issues with the pill and hormones, or latex allergies.

To answer the question: no. Sex is fun, and in a married relationship it's not even sinful. But many married couples aren't finachially ready to support a child until a later time. My parents didn't have me until they'd been married 15 years. To deny people to create the best enviroment for their child is cruel and unfair.

And to answer Alex's post: that's silly. Condoms fail about 1/5 of the time per year, and older ones much more likely. It doesn't make sense to punish mothers-to-be by not giving them the pill, there are dozens of mitigating factors, and again the child will not be in a constructive enviroment for its growth.