More young adults still living at home.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
For young Americans, living with their parents is now the norm

Seems about 32% of people between 18 and 34 are still living with their parents. Part of this is due to economic reasons and part of it is because people aren't getting married like they use to. Probably economic reasons are the biggest factor in this.

I was wondering how many of you still have kids living at home or are still living at home yourself?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I lived at home until I was about 21. It doesn't surprise me that so many people choose to stay at home now, rent is expensive as hell and buying and owning your own house is a dream most people in my generation don't even think of.

I also know very few people under the age of 30 who are married. In fact I can't even think of anyone. People of my age now are more interested in work and study and casual dating.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Houses are expensive and so is renting. In some cities the cost of housing is astronomical, even people that make a good salary can't afford them. Its no wonder why people stay at home longer and put off getting married.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
When I was 20s being independent was so important to me that I lived in a small apartment with no furniture and no cable. I didn't care. Some of my friends that are dealing with this care more about their comfort and maintaining their lifestyle than their independence. That's cool, it's just not the attitude for me.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think kids have it too easy at home these days and are a big reason they don't move out at early age. When I was living at my parents house, I was paying rent every week, and that made me smart with my money and save to buy my own place. I was able to save a good down payment for a house and bought with my brother six years ago. Now I own the place(still payment mortgage payments) and it's been a great investment.