More of a scientific question, but...

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by hughes_collector, Aug 31, 2009.

1. hughes_collector

hughes_collector Registered Member

I could've posted this in the science forum, but I really don't want to possibly wait days for an answer. It's a weird, random question, but I really want to know! :nod:

I'm curious as to what type of light bulb, if any, could get hot enough to pop a balloon? Would a 100 watt do it? Or 150? I mean if the balloon were held against it. I already tried with a 75 watt, and nothing happened, even after holding it there a long time.

I have a 100 watt bulb, and might try that, but nothing higher. I really want to make that balloon pop on a bulb, lol! :D

(Yes, I have too much time on my hands, I know.)

2. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Well I tried a google search and it came up with people who have sexual fetishes with balloons and I stopped right there :urp:

I think you're just going to have to go with trial and error.

3. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I tried to answer the question, but there's too many variables and too little of the necessary data is easily findable on Google. I figured I'd just look up what toy balloons are made of, and then find its melting point, and the temperature the glass part of various light bulbs could reach; but that was all to no avail. Balloons are made from all sorts of different crap depending on the balloon, and I'll be damned if I can find the exact composition of a typical one, much less its melting point.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. hughes_collector

I know what you mean, Impact. There is a lot of weirdness on the internet! I'm not into fetishes (shiver!) I just thought it would be fun to find the answer.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

There are different types of balloons as well. Some are thicker than others.

Why not just buy a bunch of light bulbs and try each one until it works?

6. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

aaand now the whole world knows you have safe-search turned off.. ;)

Ahem, yeah, I couldn't find anything either. You're just going to have to do your own experiment and post the findings for future curious people with far too much time on their hands. Like me, for example. The one tip I did find was to make sure you hold the balloon above the bulb, not on the side.

7. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Like Hybrix said - a lot of it depends on the type of balloon, and how old it is. Also, it might depend on the type of light bulb, and maybe its age as well.

8. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

How full it is probably factors in as well.a balloon already ready to burst may do so just because the extra head causes the air to expand.

9. hughes_collector

Well, I haven't tried it yet, but I'll try to get to it sometime today and answer all of our curious minds.

Rebeccaaa, thanks for the tip! I wasn't aware that the top part of the bulb gets hotter than the sides. I had held the balloon against the side, so maybe that's why nothing happened. I'll have to try using the 75 watt again, and this time hold the balloon over the top. If that still doesn't work, then I'll get the 100 watt and see if that does it. :rolleyes:

I must really be bored.

10. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

haha, I don't think it will make enough difference, you should probably just go ahead with the 100 watt.