• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

More Jobs Added but Still May Not Be Enough

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
There is no reason to celebrate in my opinion. 162,000 jobs is nothing, it isn't keeping up with the amount of people entering the workforce. The economy is hardly growing at all, the unemployment numbers aren't counting those who have stopped looking.

dDave

V.I.P.
162,000 is like what we need to be adding every month until we get to an acceptable level of unemployment (my opinion is that 4-5% true unemployment is about the right number).

The federal unemployment rate is such a joke. It's skewed pretty heavily and nobody really seems to realize it (it doesn't include people that have stopped looking or people, and people that work 1 hour a week are considered employed). The numbers are supposed to be there to benefit the people and instead they're used to play political games and cause confusion because the federal number is a lie.

dDave

V.I.P.
This guy said it well:Obamacare Full Frontal: Of 953,000 Jobs Created In 2013, 77%, Or 731,000 Are Part-Time | Zero Hedge

We are being converted into a part time worker society.

30 hours week+food stamps+housing subsidies + ObamaCare. depressing.
That's a great point. We are being converted into a part time society. Unfortunately most people require a full time job (or more) to support their families and part time simply doesn't cut it.

Call me crazy, but I think the conversion to a part time working society is part of the government's master plan to have people need government support. If people feel as if they need the government they're less likely to turn on them even if they do terrible things. Really gives the government power over the people if you think about it.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Every single job that I've been interviewed for lately has said that they are refusing to even hire full part-time employees (32 hours) to avoid having to pay as many benefits as possible. One woman, a hiring manager at Lowe's, flat out told me that their corporate office has ordered stores not to give anyone hire above 25 hours for this very reason. They're apparently trying to take advantage of a loophole in Obamacare that lowers their health care costs greatly. The managers would rather hire two people to work 50 hours than hire one hard worker at 40, or more, hours.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Every single job that I've been interviewed for lately has said that they are refusing to even hire full part-time employees (32 hours) to avoid having to pay as many benefits as possible. One woman, a hiring manager at Lowe's, flat out told me that their corporate office has ordered stores not to give anyone hire above 25 hours for this very reason. They're apparently trying to take advantage of a loophole in Obamacare that lowers their health care costs greatly. The managers would rather hire two people to work 50 hours than hire one hard worker at 40, or more, hours.
I feel for you and know exactly what you're going through. Thank God I'm 40 hrs w/benefits. All I can say is try, try, try, never ever give up. Also be looking for ways to make it on your own such as lawncare. For many people the choice is going to be small business or government dool. Your future is a lot brighter in your hands compared to the government's.

There is exactly one chance left to stop ObamaCare before it gets to the point of no return. In 40 days a handful of Senators will try to fund the government without funding ObamaCare. Its sad, because even though there most Americans want to kill it, they only have a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This isn't enough job growth to get this country out of its slump. Most of these jobs are low paying and part time. I have a feeling things will never be what they use to. It seems our standard of living is going to continue to go down. The cost of living keeps getting higher while salaries are getting stagnant especially at the lower end of the scale.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This isn't enough job growth to get this country out of its slump. Most of these jobs are low paying and part time. I have a feeling things will never be what they use to. It seems our standard of living is going to continue to go down. The cost of living keeps getting higher while salaries are getting stagnant especially at the lower end of the scale.
I think it will get better. For one thing, technology is expanding so rapidly things that eat up production and bust budgets today won't exist in the near future. What if your power bill was $25? Your phone bill was $10? I get down about things alot and I could be really wrong, but I guess I choose to believe that things are going to get better. At the same time I realize that things could (likely will) get really really bad in the short term. However, I think my kids will have a brighter future than I.

Zenheizer

needs practice
Jobs are growing but I think its underemployment numbers, not actually full time numbers.

Europe's unemployment rate is insane, for some reason. We're considered kind of lucky in the States.