• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

More Diet Soda criticism: drink is linked to weight gain

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
A new report has come out linking Diet Soda to weight gain...as noted in the bottom of the article linked, previous studies have shown that it increases a link to stroke and heart attack as well.

Diet Soda Linked To Weight Gain

Many people know that Diet Soda isn't all it's cracked up to be in terms of weight loss, etc., and that it's better to just drink water. It's not really a surprise to hear that drinking diet soda will contribute to sugar problems and weight gain. However, did you know about these other possible risks before, and just how bad diet soda seems to be?

For me, seeing it in writing and associated directly with numbers (such as the quote about 70% greater waist circumference) makes it more real. I really need to try to become one of those people that sticks to water most of the time. I'm going to have soda, but I need to be more realistic about how often.

Dabs

Registered Member
I never could figure out the folks who would drive to Mickey D's and order a huge burger with large fries, and get a Diet Coke.
But I don't doubt this finding at all. In fact, I had heard long ago that something in the diet drinks can cause heart attacks. I have never drank a Diet anything. It's not because I was weight watching, it's because I simply never liked the taste.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
To be honest it isn't surprising.

I only have a craving for a pop/soda about 2x a month maybe...I just don't have a craving for it.
I never liked diet so if I do get soda it is always a regular; diet always has a funny taste. I don't understand how people think diet soda is healthy, probably natural sugar is better for the body than synthetic stuff.

But in general, coffee and water is mostly what I drink. I have an occasional Gatorade or glass of juice but overall other beverages don't really satisfy me.

This is alchohal aside, which even now is starting to lose a lot of appeal. I have had 10 beers (5 on my bday 2 at a soccer game 2 at a party and 1 at dinner) this entire month...which is the most alcohol I have had in that last 4 months.

dDave

V.I.P.
Yeah I work at Sonic and those of you who know what that is we can mix just about any drink combination, we have hundreds to sometimes thousands of customers just at our store each day.

I don't have soda super often (maybe once a week) but I'd much rather have real soda than diet soda, sugar is much better than chemicals.

The problem is that everyone thinks that it's not really bad for you (it's advertised as not being healthy or unhealthy) therefore they have way too much of it, they think that the chemicals won't hurt them but they have serious health repercussions and they end up worse off than if they had simply stopped or stayed on smaller amounts of normal soda. (I know several people with this problem)

It's sad really how our society thinks that there's a fix to everything, sorry but if you want to get off soda don't go diet instead get off soda. If you want to diet that's fine but you need to combine it with a workout routine. The fact that there's a huge push for weight loss really says something sad about America in general, we shouldn't need that we should just be more healthy.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Yeah, to echo dave and Swift's thoughts, it usually comes down to everything in moderation....and if you're using moderation in what you're taking in, then worrying about diet vs. regular shouldn't be a big issue.

I agree that regular sugar is probably better than synthetic sweeteners. I even remember hearing that there's a possible link to cancer with them, in the past.

I don't think that many people will be surprised by these findings, but I'm sure that some will. "But it's diet!" lol...but that kind of reflects the culture we live in; instead of using that moderation, we keep drinking soda and justify the bad health effects with the fact that it's diet.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's probably linked to weight gain because people get the false impression that they are making a healthy choice by picking it. They feel that it somehow outweighs the junk food they also bought such as fries, burgers, fried chicken, chips or whatnot. And let's not fool ourselves that diet soda is healthy by any means. There's a reason it still tastes fairly good and that's because it's loaded with chemicals.

Regardless, I never understood the idea of diet soda or light beer. It's still completely bad for you. If you are on a diet, don't order soda at all. Order water or a lightly processed fruit juice like orange or apple juice.

"Diet Soda" is an oxymoron. It's the equivalent of "Diet Junk Food". If you're drinking it then you really aren't that serious about your diet in the first place.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's probably linked to weight gain because people get the false impression that they are making a healthy choice by picking it. They feel that it somehow outweighs the junk food they also bought such as fries, burgers, fried chicken, chips or whatnot.
This x 100.

I can tell you that I see this A LOT and I know I can't be the only one who sees people buy shitty food and a diet soda. In all honesty, I dropped to just diet soda for a month (removing all other sugary drinks) and lost eight pounds so if you ask me, I'm more inclined to believe that people who drink diet drinks are psychologically convinced that they're somehow eating healthy so other things will balance out like Brix said.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I actually prefer the taste of diet coke to regular coke. I used to love pepsi but after drinking a lot more water I find it too sugary. It's a good thing really.
I am trying to cut out fizzy drinks all together. I can go several days but on a hot day I give in.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Brix took the words right out of my mouth on this one. People think that since its diet coke or pepsi that they can just drink it without any worries in the world. They are probably more at risk as a result.

I don't drink diet because I think it tastes terrible; this info doesn't surprise me either.