Morbid Imagination

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Boredie, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Every single day as I make my way home from work I need to cross a road that is slightly dangerous in the fact that the cars come zooming round the corner and just as they round the corner there is a zebra crossing.

Every time I cross the road the most awful thoughts and imaginings go through my mind in the event that I might get hit.
    I won't go into details of my imagination i'll just leave it at morbid type imaginings.

These started I'm guessing when I got back on my feet after the road accident I was in, and returned to crossing major highways and the likes.

Do you think there's a way to keep myself from letting these imaginations take over?
    Do any of you "suffer" from such imaginings (not necersarily road accident related)?

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I get morbid thoughts just before giving birth (hmm, could that be worsening your thoughts right now). I always imagine something will go wrong and I'll die...leaving my kids without a mom. I usually write a "goodbye" note before I'm due. Then I tell my husband where to find them in case I'm gone.

3. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I have a massively morbid imagination that was not braught on by any event that I am aware of. I can easily picture absolutely horrible things, I don't let it get on top of me because I have a certain degree of control over it. It's actually kind of good because hardly anything shocks / sickens me anymore. I don't think theres any need to worry about trying to control them . Just take advantage of them as a sort of warning :lol:

4. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I remember learning in one of my psychology classes that most morbid thoughts are actually a coping mechanism.
    If we were able to traverse life never being able to imagine tragedy in our lives, when it actually did happen we wouldn't be able to cope with it mentally. I guess it's a way of preparing our minds for whatever life may hand us.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

that's one of the symptoms of PTSD, Boredie. *hugs*

I have morbid thoughts about accidents, like gruesome and horrible ways to die.

I bet it has a lot to do with static anxiety levels.

6. KiethBlackLion

KiethBlackLion Registered Member

Sounds to me like your thoughts are perfectly normal, especially considering you were in a car accident. My grandmother was in a accident once (my mother was driving and no one was really injured) where a car pulled out in front of them. Now, every time a car gets ready to pull out or I have to hit the brakes, I notice my grandmother grabbing the passenger door handle.

I agree with the notion that it's a way for our minds to prepare us incase something happens. My wife and I flew to Florida last year (my first time on a plane) for our honeymoon and even though I enjoyed the flight, both times we were in the air I kept picturing something happening (since the irony would be that it was our honeymoon).

7. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

After gutting 200 pound deers, changing dirty diapers and cleaning the grease trap at work... nothing is sick to me anymore.

8. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I really hope that's not true.

9. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Meh, you get used to it. Like if I see a dead animal on the side of the road or something, my wife freaks. I really don't care.

10. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I'm a bit different, I can picture myself actually hurting an animal or person. Not that I feel any sort of negative anger, I don't. But I see it, like I'm watching a horror movie on TV. I could be happy and then the thoughts would run through my head

Almost every time I'm driving, I imagine what would happen if I just swerved into the other lane.