Moose Damage, Who Pays for Repairs?

Discussion in 'Offbeat News' started by icegoat63, Jun 20, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

hah, I found this kinda funny and ironic. I've been reading alot of comics and one of the issues that had come up in the Storylines of those comics is always "who pays for the damage?!?!" Well this goes right along with it, but in a reality sense I 'spose.

so yeah, thought it was an interesting story. Really though... Who should pick up the cost of that repair?

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I assume it's a wild moose? Assuming there wasn't any negligence on the part of the state, I think the students should be stuck with the bill. It's like if you go camping, and a bear attacks you, and you survive; you can't sue anybody for that.

But if someone owns the moose, then of course the owner would have to pay damages.

3. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

A little off topic, but I remember a buddy of my uncle a few years ago hit a moose up in Maine with his pickup truck. The moose did not die and was rather pissed off with 4 broken legs laying halfway in the cab and thrashing around... my uncles buddy had to shoot it with his .44 Mag from inside the truck (it had crashed thru the window) in order to kill it. From what I hear his truck was totaled, and it was pretty new too... I think he said it was a Ford F350.

Moose insurance is a must in Maine :lol:

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

What Wade said.

I remember when I was in Chicago and it was deer mating season I think. So geez, my sister's car almost got hit one (I was in the front and it was scary). Her husband wasn't as lucky. The deer totalled his car two nights before their wedding. And they paid for everything. :dunno:

5. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Whitetails are cupcakes compared to a moose :lol:

I'd much rather hit a deer then a moose any day...

6. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

The kids should pay for the damange. Either that or their insurance company if they have that type of insurance. It's a wild animal. It happens all the time. Nobody is to blame. If it was somebody's pet moose that got loose then that would be a different story.

7. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

What's the difference between hitting the moose while the car is moving, and having the moose hit the car while parked? Sounds like a plucky way of getting out of making any payouts to me... Unless, of course, this particular state (or country) doesn't normally cover hitting animals?

I'd rather hit five deer than a moose. Those suckers are like slow-moving semis. :-/

8. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I think the insurance company should pick up the tab. I don't see why the state should be liable for something out of their control.

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Thats why I think its kind of a cool debate though ya know. 'Cause on one hand... Why should the insurance pick it up if "Moose Damage" wasnt part of their coverage.

Its one of those things where if a Tornado set down on top of the house I live in... I'd be screwed 'cause we dont have Tornado damage... dont need it we dont have tornados here.

So whats left, either the Boys or the State now? The argument you could make for the State footing the bill would be... Did these Moose come from a State Maintained Park system? For instance if I were up in the hills and a bear from Yosemite National Park came and beat the heck out of my truck... couldnt I make a stance saying since the bear was in State Protected and Maintained land that the bear in a sense is a ward of the State?

I mean isnt that what happens to the clinically insane? They cant control themselves and get admitted to a Psych Ward and then become Wards of the State...

I believe a stance could be made there.... pending of course the moose could be proven that it came from a State Ran Park / Recreation area.

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Because that's the whole point of insurance. If you have full coverage then they should cover it regardless of what caused the damage. I would classify it as a collision anyway, since the moose collided with the vehicle.

icegoat63 likes this.