• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Monthly Subscription

EXQEX9

Yep.
So.

The "Zune Marketplace" offers two ways to download music. One option is by using "credits", which is basically like paying the full price of the album. Just like iTunes. The second way, however, is a subscription method. You pay $14 a month for unlimited downloads. You can download 0 things or 1000 things, either way its $14.

If you use credits, you get everything. Just like you bought the cd. However, if you buy the subscription, you are limited. You cant burn or transfer the file, and if you stop paying the 14$, you cant listen to the music anymore.

So, which way do you think is better and why?

I think the subscription is better because...well there is only a down-side if you plan on not using zune at some point, which I dont. If I do end up leaving zune, itll be a bitch tho.

Discuss.

viLky

ykLiv
I would go for the credits. I like being able to burn, transfer and use the music at a later date. In the long run the subscription will add up in cost and you might be burnt out looking for any more tunes. What then?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like actually owning the music. If you just do the subscription and cancel then all of your money is gone for nothing.

I just use iTunes to get songs though and they don't even offer a subscription option.

EXQEX9

Yep.
I would go for the credits. I like being able to burn, transfer and use the music at a later date. In the long run the subscription will add up in cost and you might be burnt out looking for any more tunes. What then?
Too true, but I dont anticipate the supply of interesting music running out. At least I hope it dosent.

Your are right though, if I cant find stuff to DL at some point, im fucked.

they don't even offer a subscription option.
Lol, thanks. I was wondering.

Does anyone think that the subscription is a deal, or am I the only one?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well considering you get millions of songs for a small fee it's not bad. Even if you paid every month for the rest of your life you'd never come close to paying enough to actually buy all of the songs and you'd never need to buy another CD again.

But do you really need to listen to that many songs anyway? It would be pretty awesome to be able to listen to just about anything though so it's worth it if you would otherwise buy a lot of music.

fleinn

I suppose if you think of it as a... persistent radio- program.. er.. podcast.. then it's a really good deal. But I'm not sure I can see it taking over for either cds or good quality full releases without drm. (Great way to get people to listen to more different music, though.)