Monte Cristo Sandwich

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Has anyone here ever had a Monte Cristo Sandwich? If not then it's safe to say you are missing out for sure.

I should mention that it's LOADED with Calories and fat so if you are trying to keep the extra pounds off, it might not be something you want to check out.

If you've decided to risk it, here's a link to what looks like one of the better recipes for making one.

From Recipezaar.com

8 slices bread (I use challah)
4 teaspoons honey dijon mustard
8 slices thin deli sliced swiss cheese
8 slices thin deli ham
8 slices thin deli sliced turkey (I like smoked)
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons milk (low fat to try to keep it low in fat!)

powdered sugar, for dusting
raspberry preserves, for dipping

---
  1. Heat oven to 425°F.
  2. Lightly butter a baking sheet pan. I use the spray.
  3. Spread 1/2 teaspoon mustard on each slice of bread.
  4. Layer between mustard sides of two slices of bread, 1 slice cheese, 2 slices ham, 2 slices turkey, and another slice of cheese.
  5. Repeat to make four sandwiches. Whisk eggs, flour, butter, salt and pepper in a shallow dish until smooth.
  6. Blend in milk.
  7. DIP both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture until bread is lightly soaked.
  8. Place on baking sheet; drizzle any remaining egg mixture over top of sandwiches.
  9. Bake 8-10 minutes until bottom is golden brown.
  10. Turn with wide spatula and continue baking 8-10 minutes or until second side is golden brown.
  11. Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar and dip or spread raspberry preserves on sandwiches.
  12. Garnish with fresh raspberries.
It takes some time but the results are more than worth it. It's REALLY good also when you have some raspberry preserves to dip it in as you eat it.

:)

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've been to a few places that have them but I don't remember the names. Do you remember the name of the place in Colorado? If it's still in business I'd probably check it out and grab one of these.

I also agree that it's the best sandwich in the world. I think that saying only rings true if a pro makes it though. I don't think I could make it right if I tried. I may attempt it if I can't find a place with them though.

CaliforniaSteve

Registered Member
Hmm...If my memory serves me, the restaurant was named Grandmas. It was a little restaurant in Woodland Park, I believe. And I agree. The only reason I haven t made myself a Monte Cristo is that I don't want to ruin it for myself.

MegaMike

Registered Member
Oh, I am so trying this one of these days. That looks really good. I think I remember you telling me about this once, Steve.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't like ham or mustard, but this sandwich does sound pretty good. I might try making it sometime without that crap, maybe substitute them for something else.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
You could probably get close by using sliced turkey. I don't think it would be as good but if you don't like ham in the first place you probably won't mind. Mustard isn't a key ingredient though so that won't matter.

CaliforniaSteve

Registered Member
mmm, every time I read the title of this post it makes my mouth water... Damn there not being a place that sells Monte Cristos around where I live,damn there not being a place that sells Monte Cristos around where I live to hell!!!