Monopoly: Ever played it properly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nevyrmoore, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

In my time of using the Internet and the World Wide Web, I've come across certain websites. And one of these makes me ask the following question - does anyone actually play Monopoly properly?

So, how is it played properly? Well, there's one rule in there that seems to be thrown to the side quite a lot, and it comes into play when property is involved.

When I read that, I starting thinking at the number of times I've played the game. And I've realised that I have never come across this in play. So why?

Why is it this is removed? Well, from the same website I got that quote from, the writer gives the following theories (edited to make it less tl;dr).

The more I think about it, the more I think "Wouldn't it be more fun to actualy use the auction?"

If you play without the auction, the game becomes a loop of players trying to land on the streets they need. The game is pretty much luck-based. No action. Little interaction. All bordom.

Place in the auction, however, and suddenly, that changes. Property (and set) collection speeds up, leading to faster placement of houses. You're actively playing against the other players. And finally, the dependency on luck is lowered, and the game becomes more skill-based, as you must try to trick and bluff the other players.

So is anyone here guilty of removing the auction? Has anyone here played with and without the auction, and which did you prefer?

tl;dr, You're playing Monopoly wrong, start playing it right, confess if you do play it wrong.

2. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Well, the first 10 minutes are played properly, but as the game gets fun, it just gets out of hand.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I used to play it wrong but I've known about this rule for a while now too. It's more fun and it makes for faster games as well.

If you really want to have some fun play Monopoly for money. Not USING money but everybody puts $10 or $20 down at the beginning, winner takes all. That makes it super intense.

4. Brallen

Brallen New Member

auction rule is kind of pointless for me

everyone i play with's strategy is to buy whatever you land on, eliminating any potential auctions

5. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

There are reasons it's affectionately called "Monotony," and the auction rule is one. I can vaguely recall games in which it was in force; can't say, though, that it enhanced the pleasure of the experience much for anyone involved. Ditto to certain other aspects that often get ignored under 'house rules'.

What made it more exciting for me was being the banker and embezzling those beautiful golden $500 bills. Play to win, or don't play, damn it!

6. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I actually do play with the auction rule (I've read a book about monopoly history and strategy), although it's rarely used as people tend to just buy whatever they land on.

What people tend to do is a) not trade and b) not use probability and payoff in determining what to buy. The most lucrative properties in the game are the Oranges, the least are the Greens. Yet, very rarely do I see that kind of strategy. People go kamikazie for Boardwalk and get a hotel up, while I could have just as easily built up all three Oranges and make it likely that if they waltzed out of jail they'd owe me about 550$.

7. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Whenever I play with real people, I always forget a rule and we end up screwing it up. Still, it's fun and we had a blast. Though, for the past year or two I've been playing a hand-held game where the computer follows the rules regardless.

8. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Yes, I've played with the auction rules. Although a lot people don't believe me when I say it's a rule.

I also try to insist that people shouldn't get money for landing on Free Parking (which is a dumb house rule). But people love it for some reason.

9. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Well, it's because it's a part of the game that is totally devoid of skill. I play with it, mostly because it keeps people from getting bored and quitting (which I annoying, because I have a tendency to win).

10. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Oh, I wonder why...

Recommend that book!