• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Money, the root of all evil?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I does seem that most crimes stem from money and the fact that someone wants more of it. Its embezzled, people are murdered over it and people do illegal things to get it.

Do you think this statement is true or is there more to it than that?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Before I continue in this thread I want to post two clips from the film "Boiler Room", there is very harsh language in the scenes but Ben Affleck is wonderful and I think that what he says is very much a valid point in this discussion so I would real encourage getting passed the swearing to see how money can affect people:

Welcome to the boiler room

You have to be closing

There is a fair and valid argument that money could be seen as being something that causes normal sane people to do something they shouldn't or at the very least leads onto something that they wouldn't normally do. Gambling is a massive business because it gives people the hope that one day they may win it in big, people need that hope in life sometimes but gambling can lead to people ripping other people off, stealing, loan sharks etc etc, but whose fault is that? Gambling? I would say no, I would say it is the weak minded individuals who are at fault.

Money is not an entity in itself that has life so it cannot be blamed, the people are to blame in the same way the companies who sell life styles are not to blame for people wanting something, they create envy yes but ultimately they are not to blame.

dDave

V.I.P.
With the exception of truly insane people I do think that 99% of all evil men/women in the world are driven by money (maybe even 100% from a certain point of view). In a lot of ways money represents power as well so it wouldn't be too far fetched to say they were after money and power.

It is amazing to me to see what some people are willing to do for money. It's the primary motivating factor in so many bad situations.

I'm a Christian and as such I will look to the bible, especially for stuff like this. Here's what the bible says about money.

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 1 Timothy 6:10
^I'm pretty sure that verse is the origin of the idea of money being the "root of all evil" given the language used there.

The book of Revelation also mentions the Mark of the Beast. Many people believe this mark as it's called is actually a currency. Still, if it's not a currency it is directly tied to money.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Money isn't the root of evil, the love of money is the root of evil. If you love money many times your principles and ethics are comprised. I make a lot more money than when I bussed tables or delivered pizza, but I didn't go into the practice of law because of money. If I did it would be much easier for me to justify being unethical and doing things I shouldn't be doing. Besides, while you can point to crimes done for me I can point to the billions given in charity to house and feed the needy. I make no professional decisions based on money. I've had offers to leave where I am for more money, but how much is offered is a minor consideration.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Our love of money stems from greed, which is imprinted in our DNA. I would say greed is the root of all evil.

I think money has the power to change people though. It frequently turns good, ordinary people into evil, selfish, greedy people who will stop at nothing to get more of it. It's like a drug.

There have been plenty of studies that show how a person's wealth can have an effect on how they treat other people. Money gives people an inflated sense of importance and they will often treat others as if they are below them.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I think money has the power to change people though. It frequently turns good, ordinary people into evil, selfish, greedy people who will stop at nothing to get more of it. It's like a drug.
I would agree that money does have the power to do what you have said above but is that not the fault of the person rather then the money itself? It's like me and alcohol. Alcohol in itself is not bad and in moderation I can enjoy it but when I drink to much it either makes me upset or become a nasty person but that is not the fault of the drink but something in me.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I would agree that money does have the power to do what you have said above but is that not the fault of the person rather then the money itself? It's like me and alcohol. Alcohol in itself is not bad and in moderation I can enjoy it but when I drink to much it either makes me upset or become a nasty person but that is not the fault of the drink but something in me.
I agree 100%. The individual is much more to blame than money is, the same way it is with drugs and alcohol. I think a lot of the blame can also go towards the extreme level of importance our society places on money, power, fame, materialism, etc.

There was some controversy over this ad that Cadillac ran recently...

New Cadillac Ad Running During Olympics Revs Up Controversy - Cavuto - YouTube

In my opinion, the commercial is basically suggesting that owning a Cadillac is more important than an extra couple weeks of vacation time. Why take more time off that you could spend with your family or gaining valuable life experiences when instead you could be working hard and driving a nice car! It's absurd, but that kind of mentality that is being driven into us everywhere we turn.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
All of you have made some very valid points. Maybe its not money itself but the greed it brings out in people but still money is what brings this out. Ever since the beginning anything that a society considered valuable has done this. It has even started wars.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
It has also been used to feed and clothe the poor. Money doesn't bring out greed, human nature does. Many people have made a lot of money honestly and have used that money to benefit others.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Yup, we can't really go making money the scapegoat here.

It's the same as saying that guns kill people when really it's people with guns and bad intentions that kill people.

I mean, do Mars Bars in and of themselves make people fat? No. Confectionery does not simply leap off a table and force itself into someone's mouth with the intent of causing serious, unhealthy weight gain. Candy snacks don't work that way. Said someone lifts it off the table, unwraps it, and makes the choice to put it in their mouth.

So, no, money is not the root of all evil at all. If you take the above examples and apply it to money, then you get an absurd scene where money whispers in someone's ear, "You want me. You know you do. Take me. Take me now! Oh, and kill that other person for me before you do."

It's actually more like that Bible verse dDave quoted - "the love of money is the root of all evil" - which is a fancy way of stating that the capacity for evil lies in the heart of man.

Really, when you think about it, if money weren't in the picture, we'd just choose something else to attach what is essentially an abstract notion called "value" to. If not money, then it could just have easily been moss sticks or rabbit droppings and we all would have fought wars over that. I believe we are that stupid.

Last edited: