• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Money in the Bank briefcase

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was wondering what your thoughts were about the briefcase? Do you like the fact that the wrestlers that do have the briefcase decide to cash in while the other wrestler just had a match or his "injured?" Do you believe that takes away the glory of the World Title?

Thoughts?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I don't think it takes away the glory of the title, but I have one beef with the briefcase. (I think it was CM Punk who was the first face to cash it in, right?) When a face cashes in the title on an injured wrestler, or one that just had a big match, it just doesn't make sense to me. I think that a babyface would use it a few weeks before a PPV, saying that they would want to do it the "right way" and having time for a feud build-up.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Rob Van Dam was the only one who did that way too.

I remember it was the way to get Punk over as a heel when he did it so I didn't have an issue with that. I don't think it takes anything away though and I still enjoy it because WWE does a good job as surprising you when they do cash it in.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
But am I remembering wrong, or the first time Punk cashed it in did he do it as a face against Edge in the same way that Edge had done it before? (post-match, injured, etc.)

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
But am I remembering wrong, or the first time Punk cashed it in did he do it as a face against Edge in the same way that Edge had done it before? (post-match, injured, etc.)
Yep. That was on RAW after Batista beat down Edge, Punk came down and stole the belt. Which was perfect if you think about it since Edge had done that on two separate occasions so it was cool to see it happen against him finally.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Yep. That was on RAW after Batista beat down Edge, Punk came down and stole the belt. Which was perfect if you think about it since Edge had done that on two separate occasions so it was cool to see it happen against him finally.
I guess it works with the whole "poetic justice" thing, but I still hope that future face briefcasers (lol) act like faces. He still could have challenged Edge ahead of time, stepped up and won, and looked great.

Still, I love the whole surprise factor. It needs to stay a good mix so we'll never know what to expect.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
So would you guys be against a wrestler using his briefcase to challenge someone at a Pay Per View? No surprises or anything.

Unlike they do today where they usually cash it in after the Champion had a long grueling match and won.

Side note: In case you don't know already, Chris Jericho is the one who came up with this angle. Surprising when you think about it, since he's never won it.

Thoughts?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
That's what I was saying earlier, Biz. With what I'd rather see a face do. I'd like to see someone (for example) challenge a champion four weeks before the PPV when there's no clear #1 contender, and allow for feud build-up like I mentioned.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Money in the Bank is a difficult concept to really come up with original ideas, but it definitely keeps the tension high around the championship landscape. I loved having Miz as the Raw MITB holder and when an over superstar cashes in I always mark out big time. It really isn't stable and I LOVE IT.

About the No 1 contender idea, I like that, but it just takes away the surprises and that is what the WWE is all about.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I am all for it...just recently we were all discussing how stale Raw was and how predictable it is, and now we have no idea what to expect for next Monday. It also creates new rivalries in which we are about to see as well, so I am all for it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 1
HabsMike25 Wrestling 3
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 26
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 4
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 5