• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mold off a vinyl doll.

palefrost

Registered Member
Does anyone know of a safe way to clean off mold off a vinyl body doll? Ive found a box of old barbies that i would like to clean up and see if they will sell. I dont want to just dunk them in water and soap if that might damage them. Is there a safe way to remove mold of vinyl?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Use a damp terrycloth towel or anything non-abrasive like that. Light or no soap would be perfect. The mold should come right off.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Ok Before you do anything make sure there is no dry rot.

First thing you should do is clean with warm water (No Soap!!)Soap will remove the petroleum from the plastic/vinyl and will cause Dry rot. Let air-dry.

*****Use any soft cloth that won't leave any fibers.*****

Next put 409 (nonsented) on a soft rag and wipe the face down. You can apply directly to face in small amounts. Let Air-dry.

Repeat the 409 step if all mold isn't removed.

Next wipe down the whole doll with a citrus cleaner (don’t use on eyes or lips only 409 on those) Let air dry.

Last step to protect the freshly cleaned vinyl.

Get some pledge and spray directly on dolls head and body. Then rub in the pledge with your fingers (No Cloth) till it there is a small amount left.
Then wipe off the rest with a cloth.

The reason for the pledge is to replace any of the petroleum loss due to age and cleaning..

**** See care and maintenance of your collection thread****

http://www.auctionforum.com/collectors-corner/care-maintenace-your-collection-325.html#post31894

Last edited:

palefrost

Registered Member
Ok Before you do anything make sure there is no dry rot.

First thing you should do is clean with warm water (No Soap!!)Soap will remove the petroleum from the plastic/vinyl and will cause Dry rot. Let air-dry.

*****Use any soft cloth that won't leave any fibers.*****

Next put 409 (nonsented) on a soft rag and wipe the face down. You can apply directly to face in small amounts. Let Air-dry.

Repeat the 409 step if all mold isn't removed.

Next wipe down the whole doll with a citrus cleaner (don’t use on eyes or lips only 409 on those) Let air dry.

Last step to protect the freshly cleaned vinyl.

Get some pledge and spray directly on dolls head and body. Then rub in the pledge with your fingers (No Cloth) till it there is a small amount left.
Then wipe off the rest with a cloth.

The reason for the pledge is to replace any of the petroleum loss due to age and cleaning..

**** See care and maintenance of your collection thread****

http://www.auctionforum.com/collectors-corner/care-maintenace-your-collection-325.html#post31894
Wow thank you! I never even knew about the pledge trick thats great! :-o

hokeshel

Registered Member
Does anyone know of a safe way to clean off mold off a vinyl body doll? Ive found a box of old barbies that i would like to clean up and see if they will sell. I dont want to just dunk them in water and soap if that might damage them. Is there a safe way to remove mold of vinyl?
Goo-B-Gone
It also removes things like gum out of carpet and marker off os walls. If you can find a really good tile cleaner, that will probably wokr as well.

Doc

V.I.P.
Special removers like that risk damaging the plastic/vinyl.

mamab

Registered Member
I know you can use aerosol hairspray to remove most inks off of almost everything. I would have thought to use vinegar?

Doc

V.I.P.
Depending on the vinegar it can discolor the material.

palefrost

Registered Member
What about mold off a old record? I came accross a few old 45's in this lot and they also have mold. Everytime i wipe it off with a dramp cloth it comes right back.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Hi.

You can try 409 on a soft cloth first. Becareful of dryrot.
*********Test a small area first*************
Let air dry and see what the results are. 409 is the best cleaner in the world..
You can do the pledge trick on old records as long as they are not glass.

BTW: Pledge takes scratches out of CD's and DVD's too! :nod: :D

Last edited: