Modified Trolley Scenario

Let's tweak EI's trolley problem to make it analogous to my proposed scenario. Hopefully this will reveal something interesting...

The conductor of a train isn't paying attention to the track ahead of him (which is against protocol). In the train's path are 5 people who have been tied to the track. The conductor has the opportunity to switch the train over to a different track, but unfortunately there is a single person tied to that track. You have the ability to communicate with the conductor, but you do NOT have the opportunity to switch the track. What do you do?

Do you...

a. Not communicate with the conductor at all
b. Tell the conductor to switch his train over to the other track
c. Warn the conductor of the lives at stake and convince him to STOP!

This one is easy isn't it...

why wasn't it that easy in my last scenario?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
For fuck's sake FTS, we get it. God is awesome, people shouldn't take action, God is behind the wheel, little kids like to hold each other at gun point, etc.

Seriously, your scenarios aren't even fun to discuss and we get nothing intellectually stimulating out of them. They're simply outlets for you to peddle mindless religious dribble. Knowing the trend so far, the correct option is probably something you didn't list as a choice. Here's what you need to know FTS:

Regardless of your faith, if you do nothing to prevent tragedy when you are capable of it, you are a villain, evil, whatever you want to name it. By ignoring the action you are not absolved of responsibility. Isn't there a fair amount in Christianity about accepting fate as God's will? Why would you not act when you could be saving people? I mean, while we're on this track, why eat? I mean, if God wants you to eat, food will walk into your mouth, right? This is the problem with your "lessons" FTS, is that they're teaching passivity which never works. The only people who make a difference in the world are those who act.

For fuck's sake FTS, we get it. God is awesome, people shouldn't take action, God is behind the wheel, little kids like to hold each other at gun point, etc.
- Why are you having a hissy fit? I just posted a thread, you can ignore it if you want to...

Seriously, your scenarios aren't even fun to discuss and we get nothing intellectually stimulating out of them. They're simply outlets for you to peddle mindless religious dribble. Knowing the trend so far, the correct option is probably something you didn't list as a choice.
- You probably didnt even read it. The correct option is c)

Duh.

Regardless of your faith, if you do nothing to prevent tragedy when you are capable of it, you are a villain, evil, whatever you want to name it.
- I NEVER said that the Right thing is to do NOTHING! You should speak!

Don't equate not accepting the mad man's ultimatum with doing nothing.

By ignoring the action you are not absolved of responsibility. Isn't there a fair amount in Christianity about accepting fate as God's will? Why would you not act when you could be saving people? I mean, while we're on this track, why eat? I mean, if God wants you to eat, food will walk into your mouth, right? This is the problem with your "lessons" FTS, is that they're teaching passivity which never works. The only people who make a difference in the world are those who act.
- You fool. I NEVER PREACHED THAT PASSIVITY IS GOOD! I NEVER PREACHED THAT BEING IDLE IS GOOD! I SAID THAT DOING THE RIGHT THING IS GOOD! I SAID LOVE IS GOOD!

"The only people who make a difference in the world are those who act."

- Clearly. How you act is the key though. The 9/11 terrorists made a difference in this world... does that justify there actions? No.

Being a force for Good is always better than being a force for Evil. Loving is always better than not loving.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
You never preached passivity? Did you already forget your ridiculous "end of the world" scenario where you claimed the correct option was to do nothing? That sounds quite passive to me.

And honestly, you're going to use 9/11? Really? I suppose it's a step up from standard deflection points like Hitler, but 9/11? Really? That doesn't sound like love to me! Maybe you should follow what you preach :)

This is just going to fall into a good vs. bad debate because your last statement is as vague as they come. You know those terrorists you mentioned, they were convinced what they were doing was in the name of good.

Just saying.

You never preached passivity? Did you already forget your ridiculous "end of the world" scenario where you claimed the correct option was to do nothing?
- Did you not read what I last posted? I wrote that you should speak to the mad man and tell him to not kill anybody.

I never wrote, "keep your mouth shut".

That sounds quite passive to me.
- I know it does Const. It sounds passive to you because you actually believe that the mad man is putting that amount of power in your hands. You actually believe what the mad man says!

The mad man obviously has a grudge against the entire world. He probably spent decades building his space craft and all the weaponry. He is clearly a hateful man who despises the whole world. He's just bringing you along for shits and giggles. He just wants to prove his point that the whole earth is evil, so he gives you the "opportunity" (the mad man winks at the camera because he's not really giving you the opportunity) to make the choice for him. AWWWWWW [sarcastic sweet voice here]... ISN'T THAT MAD MAN NICE!!! AWWWW, LOOOOOOK... HE'S GIVING YOU THE CHOICE CONSTANTINE!!! HE'S TELLING YOU THE TRUTH CONSTANTINE. AWWWWW... HE SPENT ALL THAT TIME JUST TO GIVE YOU THE CHOCE! AWWWW...

You fell for it. You tell him to shoot the predator, and he laughs at you. He pushes the button, and leaves you to live with yourself.

Clearly the mad man is in terrible emotional pain. He needs love.

.[/QUOTE]

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Madman: "You mean . . . you love me? Oh my God! Finally someone who loves me for what I am! My demons are gone! Let's get back to Earth and live our lives! Praise Jesus!"

:rolleyes:

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I would choose option C with option B as a back up in case the train cannot stop. The lesser of two evils is the better choice.

Cutting in on your argument, "the power of love" only exists in a perfect world. Our world is not perfect. It is gritty and dirty, where children are killed and men beat their wives, where the old and weak are targeted by the young and strong, where knowledge is spat upon and wisdom is ignored. This is the real world, and love has very little impact upon it.

You are assuming that people give a crap, FTS, and they don't. If a man is stealing my car, he's not going to stop because I tell him I love him or have compassion for him. Some people would become very angry at that.

The chances are slim that God exists, and if He does - which I doubt - then either He truly doesn't care or He's powerless to stop any of the stuff you speak of.

Last edited:
You are assuming that people give a crap, FTS, and they don't.
- You're right. They don't. So what makes you think, for even a millisecond, that the madman from my original scenario would actually let you choose for him???!??!?! He doesn't give a sh!t, RIGHT?!

I mean, seriously, if this actually happened and this guy actually spent enough time to develop a system of weapons capable of destroying the earth with the push of a button, would you really believe him if he told you that he would do exactly as you choose (provided that it's one of the two)???? Of course not! Imagine that :lol: ... you say, "kill the sex predator" and he says, "oh. ok. [BANG].... my job here is done. let's go home."

Yea.... right.