• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Modern Day Games Revisualized as 8 and 16-Bit

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Now this is cool. Oldschool gamers will definitely appreciate this.

Today’s games are great, but they just don’t carry the same immeasurable nostalgic value as, say, Chrono Trigger, Link’s Awakening, or even Number Crunchers. Now Stockholm-based pixel artist Junkboy has hypothesized for Swedish magazine Level what it might have looked like had contemporary games—Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, Guitar Hero, Little Big Planet, Red Dead Redemption, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Soul Calibur, and more—existed in the golden age of 8- and 16-bit gaming. Of course, several of these games indeed had low-bit predecessors!
The Video Games of Today Reimagined in 8 and 16 Bits | Geekosystem

Makes me want to go play some oldschool games again!

BigBob

Registered Member
Now I didn't read too much, but I looked at the pictures.. are any of them actually playable? I guess going back and reading, no you can't. Those would be pretty awesome to play, but there's one site that does things like this and also the opposite. Taking old games and making them "new" or "3D" like.

Actually, I lied.. they do what you said but actually make the games.

Here's an example for you from Final Fantasy 7 for the PS2.

http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro/game.php?id=11287&system=nes&name=Final-Fantasy-7-(remake)

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
If they made games like that again I would definitely buy them, obviously they shouldn't make all games like that though.

The games are super easy to make (for video game makers) and they could easily make the games a lot longer than they used to be. I want A Link To The Past 2!!! :lol:

I'm yet to try Chrono Trigger yet I hear it is simply amazing, it's really expensive.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Ah man that is so awesome, I loved Final Fantasy it was so pretty in 16 bit.

By the way they did make one new game like this. Scott Pilgrim game! No wonder it did so well, everyone wanted the nostalgia.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Oh man, this makes me so glad video game graphics have come a long way...
Is that a bad thing?

Seeing these makes me wonder "what if". What if these games could have been released back in the day? Where would we be now?

I really liked the Starcraft one the most.

Konshentz

Konshentz
That was pretty cool.

I liked the look of Arkham Asylum, Dead Space, Resident Evil 5 & Killzone the best. I'd totally play those like that right now.

I'm thankful that the graphics are what they are today, but I do miss the old shitty looking games from time to time. Haha.

And did they even do anything to RDR's version, or just post up a screenshot? :lol:

Zenheizer

needs practice
Very very cool. Though I doubt the gameplay would be anywhere near how the original modern day games play--but that's ok if it was meant for a 8-16 bit system, although some people who cannot appreciate the 2D systems would give it flack. Great concept art, really amazing talent transcribing a series visual from modern computer graphics to SNES/Genesis or even early styles.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Very very cool. Though I doubt the gameplay would be anywhere near how the original modern day games play--but that's ok if it was meant for a 8-16 bit system, although some people who cannot appreciate the 2D systems would give it flack. Great concept art, really amazing talent transcribing a series visual from modern computer graphics to SNES/Genesis or even early styles.
What's crazy is that most of these were probably made in MS Paint!

I think that some ports like these... even to emulators or websites would be AWESOME.