• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mob jailed for burning suspected witch

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A court in Nepal has jailed members of a mob who burned alive a 40-year-old woman after accusing her of casting black magic spells in a remote southern village, an official said Tuesday.
Mother-of-two Dhengani Devi Mahato died when she was severely beaten, doused in kerosene and set alight in February last year after the village shaman (traditional spiritual healer) accused her of practising witchcraft.

Nepal jails mob for burning suspected ‘witch’ alive
I can't believe people are still doing this. It sounds like a common thing in Nepal and these people don't usually get prosecuted so maybe this is a start. I think they need to join the rest of the world in the 21st century.

Scissorhands

Registered Member
Wow. Tis a tid-bit fucked up.

Kind of makes me want to move to such a place and pretend to be a wizard or some shit. Threaten to cast deathly spells on anyone who fucks with me and such. It would be like 24/7 live action role playing with a lot of risk.

Shwa

V.I.P.
Honestly, that had to be the lamest excuse to murder someone, especially a defenseless woman in such a manor. I'm glad they were brought to justice, and even in that region of the world excuses like that could never hold up in court. It's a shame that the woman died because of the mob's actions, but at least they didn't get away with it this time around.

~Shwa

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
There is a lot of places in the world that still believe in witches and other superstitious things. These are usually poor areas where the people aren't educated and in some countries you can loose you life over it.

Between 1400 and 1800 many people were burned, hanged, beheaded for being witches. Thankfully we grew out of that. Just wish the rest of the world would.

Witchcraft? Seriously? The United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund – UNICEF – says that tens of thousands of children in Africa each year are tortured and killed because of witchcraft. Blame is divided between local witchdoctors and Pentecostal churches that have led opposition to the witchdoctors.

Witchcraft & the Occult Are Seen as Deadly ‘Plagues’ In 3rd World Countries — Here’s Why
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/witchcraft-the-occult-are-seen-as-deadly-plagues-in-3rd-world-countries-heres-why/

Last edited:

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Are you guys aware of what they do to apostates in islamist places? Guess what sharia calls for when muslims leave the "religion of peace".

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Apostasy in Islam is punishable by death.

They are very unforgiving when it come to suspected witch craft or anything psychic. This came from the article in post number 4.

Witchcraft cases are increasingly in the news in Muslim nations. In April 2010, the New York Times reported on the case of Ali Hussain Sibat, a Lebanese television astrologer who hosted a psychic call-in show on Arab television.
In May 2008, he traveled to Saudi Arabia to perform a religious pilgrimage to Mecca. Religious police arrested him on charges of sorcery. Sibat was condemned to death and his execution was scheduled for April, 2010. However, pressure by human rights groups and the high profile of his case led the Saudi government to stay his execution. Last October, Saudi government officials were reported as saying that while his execution had not taken place, Sibat is still in prison.