• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MNF to ESPN... NBC buys NFL Package!!

SamusAran86

Registered Member
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7548671/

NBC spent 600 million on a NFL package that gives them some Sunday "night" games, Superbowl's in 2009 and 2012.

With NBC's move and a MNF move to ESPN, with CBS and FOX deals already in place (paying 8 billion over 6 years for Sunday's "afternoon" games) effectivly leaves ABC the only station without NFL games being played on its stations!!

It will be weird to not see MNF on ABC...

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
ABC had football??? What???

I never usually watch ABC for sporting events. Usually I only tune into them for select games like the the hockey playoff games or whenever I can't find some other big scheduled game that I'm looking for and know should be on but don't see it on any of the other channels. No big loss to me.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
NBC has the worst sports coverage ever. Notre Dame football can blow me. And ABC and ESPN are basically the same thing.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
NBC = National Broadcasting Company

Of course they're going to have less than spectacular coverage of the major sporting events. Their priority is to "broadcast" the events to the public (keyword: broad), not to bring the events to the public well. Big difference.

NBC is only good for late night TV.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I don't know. I always thought that ABC stood for the first three letters of the alphabet. :)

My best guess would be CBS = Central Broadcasting Station and ABC = American Broadcasting Company. They both kinda suck anyhow. I stopped watching CBS when they did away with the back to back trio of Early Edition, Martial Law, and Walker: Texas Ranger.

I wonder what UPN and FOX stands for...

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Exactly. All three "broadcast." And NBC's sports coverage is by far the worst.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It was actually Disney's call to get rid of MNF. They didn't think it was worth it for the price and things like that. Apparently they have bigger draws than MNF. If you read on ESPN.com this was a big deal a few months ago. It's a deal that's been in the works for a long time now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K NBA 5
K NBA 1
Babe_Ruth Baseball 0
BigBob NFL 16
SqueakScolari NFL 2