MLB Players Suspended for "Steroid" use!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by SamusAran86, Apr 11, 2005.

1. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

Colorado Rockies outfielder Jorge Piedra was suspended 10 days Monday for violating baseball’s new policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Last Monday, Tampa Bay outfielder Alex Sanchez was suspended for 10 days.

of course these are not big names, and Sanchez had denied it, saying all he used was some over the counter meds...

Looks like baseball is serious, but until you see a big name player suspended, I dont think the "steroid" talks will falter!

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

10 days? That's really gay. They should be suspended for a whole year at least. Pete Rose got a lifetime ban for betting on baseball. Steroid use gets 10 days? MLB has lost all credibility.

3. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

[SARCASM]kill um! KILL UM ALL!!!![/SARCASM]

:lol:

4. SamusAran86

10 day (games) suspension in which the player doesnt get paid his "salary" isnt quite as weak as you make it sound buckeye.

to think, last year, these 2 players wouldnt have been named, and would only have to go to "counselling" In fact nothing would have happened until the 3rd positive!! NOW THATS WEAK

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Dude, 10 games is less than 1/16 of the season. That's like a one game suspension in the NFL. FOR CHEATING! So a player who makes $3 mil a year loses $180,000. Big fucking deal. That's like a slap on the wrist. The only way they're going to get rid of steroids in baseball is to give out lifetime bans, or at the very least one full year.

6. SamusAran86

I could agree with you on that point, but the fact remains that no major sport has a policy that tough. even the IOC only habds out 2 year bans (from major compitetion) and Olympics are only held every 4 years, so it gives those peole time to get back to it. "Lifetime" bans are only given out on the 3rd positive.

These MLB players that have already tested 'positive' will now be tested more often and be held under higher scrutiny.

I agree with the idea of a permanint ban on steroid users, cheaters shouldnt be allowed. BUT what is happening is a start, I dont think anyone whos been "announced" as a steroid user will have a very long MLB carerr, and definetly wont have fan support!

7. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

Lifetime bans is too harsh. Even for third offense, it seems too harsh. I think the penalty should go up each time a person is caught, and if a person happens to get caught enough such that their penalty becomes like a lifetime ban, then so be it.

Personally, I think that the suspension should start out at 25 games + all playoffs, then increase it from there. But no playoff participation is an automatic must, that way it hurts the team when a player messes up.